1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits Approaching Infinity

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lim ((e[tex]^{2}[/tex])-([tex]\frac{t-3}{3}([/tex] * e^[tex]^{\frac{t}{3}})[/tex]))
    t -> [tex]-\infty[/tex]

[sorry for the formatting, I tried my best! that is "The limit as t approaches negative infinity of e squared minus (t-3/3) e to the t/3)]"]
    2. Relevant equations
    I am solving improper integrals to find out if this is convergent or divergent and do not remember how to show on paper to solve for a limit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, if memory serves, the limit as we approach negative infinity is a horizontal asymptote, right? But I only remember those silly little coefficient tricks to find a horizontal asymptote. Otherwise, I'd just look on a calculator. Someone tried to explain it to me and said I should think of it as going towards positive infinity first and then negate it ... but even with positive infinity I don't no where to start!

Your detailed instructions/explanations would be awesome!! I really want to understand how to do this by hand.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\left(e^2- \frac{t-3}{3}\right)e^{-t/3}[/tex]
    [tex]e^2- \frac{t-3}{3}e^{-t/3}[/tex]?

In either case it looks pretty straight forward to me: e-x, times any power of t, goes to 0 as x goes to infinity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?