How can I find the limit of the integral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SunGirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
SunGirl

Homework Statement


Hi! I need to find the limit when x-> +infinity of (integral from x to x^2 of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt))/x^5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The integral of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt) can only be estimated, so sqrt(t^3+1)=(t^(3/2))*sqrt(1+1/t^3) should I use the maclaurin series first for the function sqrt(1 + 1/t^3) (but f`(0) = infinity and I also can`t use maclaurin series for sqrt(t^3+1) as t is infinity) and then take integral for the first several elements? please help, I don`t understand how should I solve this problem.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English :/
 
Attachments
  • a0d62eb7-0bcd-4609-ad73-c0552e312623byntuhfkj.jpg
    a0d62eb7-0bcd-4609-ad73-c0552e312623byntuhfkj.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
SunGirl said:

Homework Statement


Hi! I need to find the limit when x-> +infinity of (integral from x to x^2 of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt))/x^5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The integral of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt) can only be estimated, so sqrt(t^3+1)=(t^(3/2))*sqrt(1+1/t^3) should I use the maclaurin series first for the function sqrt(1 + 1/t^3) (but f`(0) = infinity and I also can`t use maclaurin series for sqrt(t^3+1) as t is infinity) and then take integral for the first several elements? please help, I don`t understand how should I solve this problem.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English :/

Have you thought about trying to apply l'Hopital's theorem?
 
You need neither Maclaurin nor l'Hopital, this question is much simpler.
For very large x, the integral must be essentially the integral over t^(3/2) (Though you may want to find a solid reasoning for that, for example with a Taylor series). The rest is very simple.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SunGirl
Gigaz said:
You need neither Maclaurin nor l'Hopital, this question is much simpler.
For very large x, the integral must be essentially the integral over t^(3/2) (Though you may want to find a solid reasoning for that, for example with a Taylor series). The rest is very simple.
Thank you very much!) Such a simple solution)