Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits involving absolute values

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    This is actually a physics problem, but since my question is really about the math involved, I decided to post it in the calculus subforum.
    I'm supposed to get from the term:
    $$\lim_{\Delta t → 0} |\vec{v}_r (t + \Delta t)| \frac{\sin \Delta \theta}{\Delta t}$$
    To:
    $$v_r (t) \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
    ##\theta## is a function of ##t## (so ##\Delta \theta## approaches zero as ##\Delta t## approaches zero), and ##v_r## is the scalar component (not the magnitude) of the vector ##\vec{v}_r##, in a particular direction.
    Computing the limit as ##\Delta t## approaches zero:
    $$\lim_{\Delta t → 0} |\vec{v}_r (t + \Delta t)| \frac{\sin \Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = |\vec{v}_r (t)| \frac{d\theta}{dt} = |v_r (t)| \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
    How do I get rid of those absolute value bars?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Then by this logic ##\lim_{\Delta t}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t} = \frac 0 0##, assuming as you did that y is a function of t.

What they're probably doing here is using the idea that, if u is close to zero, then ##\sin(u) \approx u##.
    Is ##v_r## the magnitude of ##\vec{v_r}##? If so ##v_r## would be a nonnegative scalar.

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3
    ##v_r## is not the magnitude of ##\vec{v}_r##. It is the scalar component of ##\vec{v}_r## in a particular direction. It can be positive, negative, or zero.
    Its absolute value is the magnitude of ##\vec{v}_r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook