1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits, L'Hospital's Rule & Trigonometry

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    SOLVED, thanks to Dick and viciousp!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question asks: Find the limit. Use L'Hospital's Rule where appropriate. If there is a more elementary method, consider using it. If L'Hospital's Rule doesn't apply, explain why.

Limit as x approaches pi/2 from the right (+) of given equation:
    lim [x -> (pi/2)+] of [(cos x) / (1 - sin x)]

2. Relevant equations
    Possibly trig identity: tan x = sin x / cos x
    L'Hosptial's Rule: lim(x->a) of f(x)/g(x) = lim(x->a) of fprime(x) / gprime(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    lim [x -> (pi/2)+] of [(cos x) / (1 - sin x)]
    = lim [x -> (pi/2)+] of [(-sin x) / (-cos x)] ---> using L'Hosptial's Rule
    = lim [x -> (pi/2)+] of [(tan x)] ---> using trig identity tan x = sin x / cos x

--> tan (pi/2) is undefined. Therefore my solution would be infinity.
    I don't understand how the answer is negative infinity. LOL, my answer disagreeing with the book again... lol... I know it's probably me.

Could someone please explain to me how it's negative infinity and not infinity?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about it. If x is a little bigger than pi/2 then -sin(x) is approximately -1, and cos(x) is a small negative number, so -cos(x) is a small positive number. -1/(small positive) -> -infinity. Seeing the tan(x) is undefined tells you it's one of the infinities, but doesn't tell you which.

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    But it's not -sin x.... the negatives canceled out...

lim [x->pi/2]+ of -sinx / -cosx leaves a positive (the -1 cancels out)

I don't understand. Even if (pi/2) is slightly bigger (as approaching from right), then sin x still goes to 1, not -1.

I don't mean to be difficult; I wish to understand.
    Thanks.

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are just moving the -1 around. Ok, sin(x) goes to 1. cos(x) is a small negative. 1/(small negative) -> -infinity.

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    Forgive me, but if the negatives canceled out, how do I know to 'move the -1' around?

I realize that tan x is undefined and that it tells you it's one of the infinities, but doesn't tell you which.... from that I concluded that because the -1 canceled out, the resulting limit would be positive.

Wow, I am confused.... :)

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Limit x->pi/2+ of tan(x) is -infinity. Because sin(x)->1 (as you said) and cos(x) is a small negative number. Just because cos(x) doesn't have a '-' in front of it doesn't mean it can't be negative. Look at a graph of cos(x).

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7
    Okay, what you say makes sense, but how do I know which it is?

When I look at the graph of f(x)=cos x, I can understand how it can yield a negative value. What I don't understand is how, from the equation I am finding the limit of, how can I determine that a -1 is still hanging around?
    Is there some trig trick/identity/rule I am missing?

9. Oct 26, 2008 #8
    cos(pi/2)=0

between 0 and pi/2 cos is positive
    between pi/2 and pi cos is negative

cos(pi)=-1

Since we are coming from the right the value of cosine is always negative but increasing (getting closer to zero)

10. Oct 26, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The original limit has the form 0/0. That means you can apply l'Hopital to the limit. You got tan(x). The limit of tan(x) as x->pi/2+ is minus infinity. l'Hopital's rule then tells you that is also the value of the original limit.

11. Oct 26, 2008 #10
    Yes, I am with you so far.

In typing this response, I seem to have neglected the observation that I am taking the limit from the right and that All Students Take Calculus.... aka tan (pi/2 + 0.01) < 0 (where 0.01 is some very small positive number)! Which of course is negative.
    Sometimes I think I am in over my head. lol

Lol, that's the one part of this section I understand.

Thanks Dick and viciousp (for reminding me of C.A.S.T., it was your post that jogged that old omen). I get it know.

What can I say... lol, it's been four years out of high school and into first year university.
    Thanks for your help!!!!!

I'm sure I'll be back ;) If not for calculus (which I seem to be understanding most of the concepts), then for trigonometry (for some reason, it just doesn't sit well in my brain). LOL
    Thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?