Limits of 2 var functions approaching paths of parabolas

  • Thread starter Thread starter davidp92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
davidp92
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://i.imgur.com/F6qLL.jpg
In the example, it says if the approaching path of the limit is y=x^2 and x=y^2, the limits are 0. I can see the limit is 0 for approaching in the path of x=y^2 since the function becomes f(x,y) becomes f(y^2,y)=3y^5/(y^4+y^2) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0 as (y^2,y) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0.
But doing the same for the path of y=x^2, I get f(x,x^2)=3x^2*x^2/(x^2+x^4)=3x^4/(x^2+x^4) which [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 3 as (x,x^2) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac {3x^4}{x^2+x^4}=\frac{3x^2}{1+x^2}\rightarrow \frac 0 1[/tex]
 
davidp92 said:

Homework Statement


F6qLL.jpg

In the example, it says if the approaching path of the limit is y=x^2 and x=y^2, the limits are 0. I can see the limit is 0 for approaching in the path of x=y^2 since the function becomes f(x,y) becomes f(y^2,y)=3y^5/(y^4+y^2) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0 as (y^2,y) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0.
But doing the same for the path of y=x^2, I get f(x,x^2)=3x^2*x^2/(x^2+x^4)=3x^4/(x^2+x^4) which [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 3 as (x,x^2) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0. What am I doing wrong?
To display your image, use the 'Insert Image' icon in the 'Go Advanced' input box.
 
Notice that your example says "we begin to suspect that the limit exists and is 0." (emphasis mine)

Frankly, I don't know what they are trying to show. The fact that the limit is 0 along some curves may suggest that the limit itself is 0 but it certainly doesn't have to be. I don't see that doing 4 paths rather than 2 tells us anything at all.

If you convert to polar coordinates, the function becomes
[tex]\frac{3r^3 cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)}{r^2}= 3r cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)[/tex]
which goes to 0 as r goes to 0 no matter what [itex]\theta[/itex] is. That tells us that
[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\to (0, 0} \frac{3x^2y}{x^2+ y^2}= 0[/tex]

Because distance from the point to the origin is given by the single variable, r, as long as the limit, as r goes to 0, is independent of [itex]\theta[/tex], then that limit exists.[/itex]