Limits of Average Rates of Change

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 15K views
Alyosha
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm not looking for an answer to a specific question, but I want to know in general how to evaluate the limit of average rates of change.

Homework Statement



lim[tex]_{}h \rightarrow0[/tex] f (x + h) - f (x) / h


Homework Equations



f(x) = x^2 , x = 1



The Attempt at a Solution



I really don't know what to do. Obviously we need the denominator not equal to 0. An example in my book showed them multiply by 1 by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate since the numerator had roots...but this has no roots.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't want to do your homework, so I'll do f(x) = x^3.
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+h)^3-x^3}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{x^3 + 3x^2h + 3xh^2 + h^3 - x^3}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{3x^2h + 3xh^2 + h^3}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} 3x^2 + 3xh + h^2[/tex]

[tex]=3x^2[/tex]
 
If it says for example x = 1, all you do f (1) and evaluate?
 
Right, so in the example I did, f ' (1) = 3, f ' (2) = 12 etc.
 
Well Since you know that you must evaluate at x=1, you can do two things. Either do as nicksauce did, and sub in x=1 at the end, or simply evaluate

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(1+h)^2 - 1^2}{h}[/tex] Directly.