1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of Trigonometric Functions. !

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    Limits of Trigonometric Functions. URGENT!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate stackrel{lim}{x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0}[/tex] [sin(\frac{2e}{x3}) \bullet (arctanx)]

2. Relevant equations
    All I know is that the equation stackrel{lim}{x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{sin x}{x}[/tex] = 1 might be helpful, but I'm not sure how to apply it to this particular problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I talked to a friend of mine who's in Calc III, and she said that the whole limit would be equal to 0 since arctan(0) = 0, and sin[tex]\frac{2e}{x3}[/tex] is undefined, and the zero beats out the undefined value. This might be right, but how would I show that mathematically?

All help is greatly appreciated as I'm kind of in a crunch here :)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Re: Limits of Trigonometric Functions. URGENT!

Here's your corrected limit expression.

Evaluate [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 0} sin(\frac{2e}{x^3}) arctanx[/tex]

Your friend is leading you astray. It's not necessarily true that an expression tending to zero "beats out" an undefined value. What is true is that -1 <= sin(u) <= 1 for all real values of u.
  4. May 3, 2010 #3
    Re: Limits of Trigonometric Functions. URGENT!

Thanks for correcting my formatting. I was in a rush, and I accidentally hit the "submit post" button before previewing it.

Thanks for the input!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook