1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Limits of Trig Functions

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The first problem I'm having difficulty with is

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin x}{5x}[/itex]

And the second is:
    [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin x(1-cos x)}{2x^{2}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    I assume that for the first problem I need to simplify it to the rule where [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin x}{x}[/itex]=1
    and the second would probably need to simplify to follow the rule [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1-cos x}{x}[/itex]=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I mainly need help with is how to get started. For the first problem, how do I get rid of the 5x at the bottom?
    For the second problem should I square the entire thing and end up with [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2sin x}{4x^{4}}[/itex] then go from there or is that even correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Rewrite the first one as (1/5)(sinx/x) then take the limit.

use the fact that x2=x*x and then try to get sinx/x and (1-cosx)/x then use the fact that lim(x→a) f*g = lim(x→a) f * lim(x→a) g

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the power series for sin(x) and cos(x).

You already know the first answer is 1/5.

Second problem:
    cos x = 1 - ax^2 + bx^4 + ... etc. since it's an even function.
    sin x = cx + dx^3 + .... etc. since it's an odd function.
    Then take the first two terms of cos x and the first term of sin x in your expression, realize that the lowest power of x in the numerator is higher than the highest power of x in the denominator, and bingo!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook