1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits: Power Function, can't get same answer!

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

The question asks to find the limit as x approaches 8 of (2x^2 - 3x + 4).
    So I use the limit law/property which states that if f is a polynomial or rational function and if a is in the domain of f, then the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is f(a). Correct?

2. Relevant equations:

Now, since the limit law I described clearly fits as this is a polynomial expression, and x can be any real number, I plug in 8, aka f(a) = f(8). The answer I get does not agree with the answer key.

3. The attempt at a solution:

Calculus never came easy for me, but here is my attempt:
    lim x->8 (2x^2 - 3x + 4)
    = 2(8)^2 - 3(8) + 4
    = 108
    Do I even have the right approach??
    Here's the answer key:
    lim x->8 (2x^2 - 3x + 4)
    = 2(5)^2 - 3(5) + 4
    = 39

Assuming no error in the actual substitutions & calculation, where the heck did the key get 5??? Am I missing something here, or is the answer key throwing out a red herring? 99.99% of the time, whenever the answer key disagrees with my answer: I did something wrong.
    What happened this time? It seems like that instead of using 8, they used 5... why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

your work with [tex] 8 [/tex] is correct.

One of two possiilities:
    1) The question was written with 8 when it should have been 5
    2) The answer was written with 5 when it should have been 8
    :uhh:

A minor chance - you are looking at the wrong solution, but since the polynomial matches the chance of that seems very low.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    Okay, thanks statdad.

I figured it was something like that, but because this is all so new to me, I couldn't be sure.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?