1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits - proving their equality

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Hello!
    All of us know, that the constant e is defined as:
    e = lim[n->oo] (1+ 1/n)^n

I'm proving the derivative (ln(x))'=1/x and at some point I have to show that the limit:
    lim[n->0] (1 + n)^(1/n)
    is equal to the one previously mentioned, the definition of e. Probably I will have to think separately about n->+oo and n->-oo, but... There is still one, the most obvious question:
    How can I do that? What should I start with? Or maybe it is impossible to be proved algebraicaly and all I can do is just input that limit into the calculator and see the limit?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Greetings,
    Theriel

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Actually you are making it much harder than it really is, thank god :)

In the definition you posted, the limit is an n tends to infinity. The 1/n here therefore tends to 0. And the exponent, tends to infinity, obviously.

In the Other limit, it is just showing the same thing. As n goes to zero, the term after the 1 still approaches the same thing. And the exponent also approaches the same thing.

In general this is a neat trick, if we have a limit of n tending to infinity, replace n with 1/n, and make the n approach zero and they are equal.

4. Apr 21, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, if it makes more sense to you, replace n by 1/x. As n goes to 0, 1/x goes to infinity.

5. Apr 21, 2007 #4
    It looks too easy as for my maths professor so I am almost sure that there was something I forgot about ;-]. Nevertheless - once again, thank you for your advice and time!

6. Apr 25, 2007 #5
    Heh, yeah, I KNEW that there would be a problem... so:

During our classes we defined "e" as:
    e = lim[n->+oo] (1+ 1/n)^n

Now I have to prove (algebraically) that the limit for n tending to -oo (negative infinity) is also equal exactly e. And it is not enough to state simply that it works or I saw a graph etc... it must be a mathematical proof.

I would highly appreciate your any ideas ;-].

Thank you for help!

7. Apr 25, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the log of the expression and prove the limit is 1 using l'Hopital.

8. Apr 25, 2007 #7
    I am not very familiar with l'Hopital theorem, so I am basing on wiki and planetmath (hopefully properly understood)

Here, according to your hint, I must prove:
    lim[n->-oo] ln((1+ 1/n)^n) = 1

so I have (n->-oo):
    ln ( lim(n+1)/lim(n) ) * lim(n) = 1

here, using the l'Hopital theorem (limit of f/g = limit of f'/g'):

ln (1) * lim (n) = 1
    0 * (-infinity) = 1

OK, it does not look easier ;-]. Zero times infinity is undefined... Was that meant to be done this way or you thought about some other approach?

9. Apr 25, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can only use l'Hopital for 0/0 and infinity/infinity type cases. Instead of n*ln(1+1/n) - write it as ln(1+1/n)/(1/n). Now its 0/0. Now use l'Hopital.

10. Apr 25, 2007 #9
    So we have a problem #-/ When we have:
    ln(1+1/n)/(1/n)

we have to differentiate ln(1+1/n). So we have to use the formula ln(x)' = 1/x. And this formula is to be proved ;-D.

Just to point it out -> my MAIN task was to prove (e^x)' = e^x. I did it using ln(x)'. Then I had to prove ln(x)' (because during our classes we proved it using e^x). I did it, however presenting e^x in different form (see previous posts). Now, I am just to prove it for -oo...

That is why I cannot differentiate that... unless I made some logical mistake...

11. Apr 25, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need the limit n->-infinity to prove ln'(x)=1/x. You said you'd already proved that. So I was hoping you'd be ok with just using the derivative formula now.

12. Apr 25, 2007 #11
    No no no.... maybe I would post you my whole problem, it will be easier to find some solution? By the way, thank you for your help and time, sincerely....

1.I proved e^x using ln(x)', chain rule, (x)'
    2.I had to prove ln(x)', the final step:

1/x * ln (lim [n->0] (1+n) ^ (1/n) ) ---by def. of e --- 1/x * ln(e) = 1/x
    hence, ln(x)' = 1/x

To make the proof ln(x) complete I was to prove that lim [n->0] (1+n) ^ (1/n) is equal to e.

During our classes we defined "e" as:
    e = lim[n->+oo] (1+ 1/n)^n

Changing the first formula into:
    e = lim[n->oo] (1+ 1/n)^n
    wasn't a big problem. However, there was one difference between my definition and the one we learned about. So I am to prove that the limit holds for n->-oo ;-].

I hope I explained my problem clearly... I am proving a few things in a chain and that is why I cannot use any of them at any steps (hence no derivative of e^x, ln(x) and so on)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  13. Apr 25, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are welcome for the help! But I'm still not quite catching at what point you need to prove the n->-infinity part. What is there about your proof of the derivative property that makes you need both signs?

14. Apr 25, 2007 #13
    My proof assumes that e=lim[n->oo] (1+ 1/n)^n (hence, for n tending to both +,- infinity) And, theoretically, I only know that e=lim[n->+oo] (1+ 1/n)^n . And that makes the problem ;-].

15. Apr 25, 2007 #14

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Errr...
    So, what you'd like to ask is to use:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \fbox{+ \infty}} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = e[/tex]
    to prove that:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \fbox{- \infty}} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = e[/tex], right?

Ok, so let t = -x, so [tex]x \rightarrow - \infty \Rightarrow t \rightarrow + \infty[/tex], the whole expression be comes:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \fbox{- \infty}} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = \lim_{t \rightarrow \fbox{+ \infty}} \left(1 - \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {-t} = \lim_{t \rightarrow \fbox{+ \infty}} \frac{1}{\left(1 - \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {t}}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \frac{\left(1 + \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {t}}{\left(1 - \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {t} \left(1 + \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {t}}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left( \frac{1 + \frac{1}{t}}{1 - \frac{1}{t}} \right) ^ t \frac{1}{\left(1 + \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {t}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{e} \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left( \frac{1 - \frac{1}{t} + \frac{2}{t}}{1 - \frac{1}{t}} \right) ^ t[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{e} \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{\frac{2}{t}}{1 - \frac{1}{t}} \right) ^ t[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{e} \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{2}{t - 1} \right) ^ t[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{e} \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{\frac{t - 1}{2}} \right) ^ t = ...[/tex]

You should be able to go from here, right? :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  16. Apr 26, 2007 #15
    Yeah, I should be able... but ;-]
    I think I have missed something or there is something basic I cannot think about...

In your calculations we have to prove now that the limit is equal to e^2 (to make the whole result equal to e). We may:
    - use t=-x again, however (after having done some calculations) it gives us nothing.
    -make the same denominator, which gives us:
    1/e * lim [t->oo] ((t+1)/(t-1))^t.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  17. Apr 26, 2007 #16

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Nope, why should you make the substitution t = -x? When [tex]t \rightarrow + \infty \Rightarrow x \rightarrow - \infty[/tex], and you cannot use the limit: [tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{\alpha} \right) ^ \alpha = e[/tex] to complete your problem.
    The limit is not 1. You should note that [tex]1 ^ \infty \neq 1[/tex], it's one of the Indeterminate Forms.

Ok, big hint of the day. :)

We have:
    [tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{\alpha} \right) ^ \alpha = e[/tex]
    And, we also have that:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow - \infty} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right) ^ x = \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left(1 - \frac{1}{t} \right) ^ {-t} = \frac{1}{e} \lim_{t \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{\frac{t - 1}{2}} \right) ^ t[/tex]

Now, if you let [tex]\alpha = \frac{t - 1}{2}[/tex], then when [tex]t \rightarrow + \infty[/tex], you also have: [tex]\alpha \rightarrow + \infty[/tex], right?

Now, do some little manipulation, and change t to [tex]\alpha[/tex], you'll arrive at the correct result in no time. :smile:

18. Apr 26, 2007 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try this argument on for size. According to my reference e^x is defined as lim[n->infinity](1+x/n)^n.

So 1/e=lim[n->infinity](1-1/n)^n=lim[n->-infinity](1+1/n)^(-n)=
    1/lim[n->-infinity](1+1/n)^n.

So 1/e is equal to 1/(your limit). So your limit=e.

19. Apr 26, 2007 #18
    Yeah, I forgot about ^n in the previous approach.

Thank you very much for your help and hint! ;-] Soo... I have:
    e * lim[A->+oo] (1 + 1/A)

Is the limit of 1/inifinity indiscussably equal to zero or I may expect another task from my teacher to prove it ? ;-D.

20. Apr 26, 2007 #19

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Err... He only knows that:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow + \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) ^ n = e[/tex], we hasn't covered what ex is... :rolleyes:

21. Apr 26, 2007 #20

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Hurray, you get it correctly. The limit: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{x} = 0[/tex] is well-know, hence, you don't have to "re-prove" it.
    Congratulations. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?