Limits (x increasing without bounds)

In summary, the limit of 10/x is 0, the limit of (x^2+a^2)/(x^3+a^3) is also 0, and the limit of (1-r^x) for |r|<1 is 1.
chaosblack
Before we start, can you just explain how to start me off? I understand the idea of all limits, just a few tricky ones that were assigned for homework. (note: ALL limits are x --> infinity)

Homework Statement

lim [tex]^{}\frac{10}{x}[/tex]lim [tex]\frac{x^{2}+a^{2}}{x^{3}+a^{3}}[/tex]lim (1 - r[tex]^{x}[/tex]) , |r| < 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 10, I'm guessing a = a constant number, so the answer would be zero either way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chaosblack said:
Before we start, can you just explain how to start me off? I understand the idea of all limits, just a few tricky ones that were assigned for homework. (note: ALL limits are x --> infinity)

Homework Statement

lim 10[tex]^{}\frac{10}{x}[/tex]lim [tex]\frac{x^{2}+a^{2}}{x^{3}+a^{3}}[/tex]lim (1 - r[tex]^{x}[/tex]) , |r| < 1
I am hoping these are the questions if I am reading them correctly

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{10}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^{2}+a^{2}}{x^{3}+a^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (1 - r^x) [/tex] for [tex] |r|<1[/tex]

For the first one..as x gets bigger and bigger, what happens to 1/x ? If you don't know, check it on a calculator.

For the second one, when you have it in a fraction like that. First you check if the degree of the denominator is less than or equal to the degree of the numerator. If so, you need to divide it out. If not, what is usually done is you divide the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x and then take the limit.

For the third one, if |r|<1..what does that mean for values of r? What kind of numbers would r have to be for the modulus to be less than one?

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I edited the original questions (and know I know how to show the limit's now haha).

So then my answers for 10/x would be 0. the one with "a" as a variable would be 0. and then the one with the absolute would be 1?

Yep...that seems to be correct.
But here is another way to look at the 2nd one.
As [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex], in the numerator,[itex]x^2+a^2[/itex], a^2 becomes negligeable so that the numerator is basically [itex]x^2[/itex]. Similarly,the denominator becomes [itex]x^3[/itex] as [itex]a^3[/itex] becomes negligeable as [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

So your expression really reduces to this

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\frac{x^2}{x^3} =\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

1. What is the concept of a limit as x increases without bounds?

The concept of a limit as x increases without bounds, also known as a limit at infinity, is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity. This means that the function is evaluated as the input values get larger and larger, without any specific bound or limit.

2. How is a limit at infinity different from a regular limit?

A regular limit is evaluated as the input values approach a specific number, whereas a limit at infinity is evaluated as the input values approach infinity. This means that there is no specific number that the input values are approaching, but rather an infinitely large value.

3. What is the notation used for expressing a limit as x increases without bounds?

The notation used for expressing a limit at infinity is lim f(x) = L, where L is the limit value as x approaches infinity. This notation is read as "the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity is equal to L."

4. Can a function have a limit as x increases without bounds?

Yes, a function can have a limit at infinity. This means that the function approaches a specific value as the input values get larger and larger, without any specific bound or limit. However, not all functions have a limit at infinity.

5. How do you determine the limit at infinity of a function?

To determine the limit at infinity of a function, you can evaluate the function as the input values approach infinity. If the function approaches a specific value, then that value is the limit at infinity. If the function approaches infinity or negative infinity, then the limit at infinity does not exist.