1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lin Alg Question: Cross-Product Proof

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    http://imgur.com/mceBq" [Broken]

I'm curious to see if my conclusion is correct.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't really agree with your claim that if for two vectors a (non-zero) and b, axb = 0, then b = 0.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Following up with what CompuChip said, what is a X 2a?

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    I'm not sure why you don't agree. I end up with the statement:

a X (b - c) = 0

And for that statement to hold, the following must necessarily be true:

b - c = 0

since we know that a is nonzero.

a is parallel to 2a, so taking the cross-product of two parallel vectors yields the zero vector, because there are an infinite number of vectors perpendicular to a single line.

Sorry, but I don't seem to be following the logic you are trying to lead me through.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The logic he is trying to lead you through is: Since, as you say, the cross product of two parallel vectors is 0, it does NOT follow that is [itex]u\times v= 0[/itex] then either u or v must be 0! In particular, if a is not the 0 vector, then neither is 2a but, again, [itex]a\times 2a= 0[/itex].

If [itex]a\times (b- c)= 0[/itex] then the best you can say is that b- c is parallel to a: that is, that b- c is a multiple of a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook