Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lindhard RPA Dielectric Function Electron Gas

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1

DrDu

Science Advisor

The longitudinal dielectric function of a gas of free electrons (+ homogeneous positive background) is often described in the Lindhard- or Random Phase Approximation (RPA).
    The dielectric function depends on both frequency omega and wavevector k. However, it is non-analytic at the point omega=0, k=0. Namely its value depends on how the constant ratio of omega/k is chosen in the limit omega to 0. What is the physics behind this behaviour?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The singular structure comes from the existence of gapless excitations at the Fermi surface. Is this answer too brief/trivial for what you were looking for?

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

Dear Physics Monkey,

Too brief yes, too trivial no. I was thinking the following: when taking the limit omega to 0 before k to 0 (static screening) the electrons have all the time of the world to adjust to the field. In the other limit ( k to 0 before omega to 0) they would have to move with too high velocity over too large a distance.
    I also think that the latter limit changes drastically if scattering/band structure is to be included.

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is also the basic picture I have. In the case of k going to zero first, one knows a lot about the response of the free gas because the k = 0 current is basically the momentum. Even if you include electron-electron interactions the k = 0 current has a simple structure dictated by momentum conservation. This is another way to understand how the k = 0 finite omega result is special. Of course, this changes as you say once one introduces band structure or non-translation invariant scattering (like impurities) etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook