Line integral - finding the arc length

In summary, the conversation is about finding the arc length and curvature of a curve given by three parameters: x=a(3t - t^3), y=3a(t^2), z=a(3t + t^3). The person is asking for clarification on using an integral to find the arc length, with a given function of f=1 and limits of 0 to t. The expert explains that the limits of integration do not need to be replaced with t, as the goal is to find the arc length as a function of t. The conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and finding the correct anti-derivative for the integral.
nb89
a curve is given as 3 parameters of t:
x=a(3t - t^3), y=3a(t^2), z=a(3t + t^3)

i have to find the arc length measured from origin and curvature as functions of t.

would i be correct in using the integral at the bottom of page 2 here: http://homepages.ius.edu/wclang/m311/fall2005/notes17.2.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure enough, with f=1.
Then you get:
[tex]\int3|a|\sqrt{(1-t^{2})^{2}+(2t)^{2}+(1+t^{2})^{2}}[/tex]
If you are clever, you'll find a perfect square buried within the radicand.

why is f=1?

would my limits be 0 to t?

nb89 said:
why is f=1?
Because you are to find [tex]\int{ds}=\int{1}*ds[/tex]
would my limits be 0 to t?

Yes.

ive ended up with integral 3a√2 (t^2 +1) dt
so i take the 3a√2 out and integrate t^2 +1.

but I am confused since the limits are 0 to t, how would i replace the t with the limit t once i have integrated it?

Don't worry about the limits of integration: you are finding the arclength as a function of t so find an anti-derivative and take the constant so that the integral is 0 when t= 0.

then i get 3a√2 (t^3/3 + t). that's wrong though?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a concept in mathematics and physics that involves calculating the length, area, or volume of a curve or surface. It is used to measure the distance along a curve or the total area of a surface, and it is an important tool in many fields, including calculus, physics, and engineering.

2. How is the arc length of a curve calculated using a line integral?

To calculate the arc length of a curve using a line integral, you first need to parametrize the curve by expressing the x and y coordinates as functions of a single variable, typically t. Then, the arc length can be calculated by integrating the magnitude of the derivative of the parametric equations over the given interval.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A line integral is a specific type of integral that is used to calculate the length, area, or volume of a curve or surface. It is different from a regular integral, which is used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. Line integrals are typically used in situations where the curve or surface is not easily expressed as a function of a single variable.

4. What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating the work done by a force along a path, finding the center of mass of a curved object, and determining the flow of a fluid through a curve or surface. They are also used in physics to calculate electric and magnetic fields and in engineering to analyze stress and strain in structures.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using line integrals?

There are some limitations and restrictions to using line integrals, such as the need for the curve or surface to be smooth and well-defined, and for the parametric equations to be continuous and differentiable. Additionally, the choice of parametrization can affect the result of the line integral, so it is important to choose an appropriate parametrization for the given situation.