1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of a vector field over a square curve

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please evaluate the line integral [itex]\oint[/itex] dr[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\vec{v}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = (y, 0, 0) along the curve C that is a square in the xy-plane of side length a center at [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = 0

a) by direct integration

b) by Stokes' theorem

2. Relevant equations

Stokes' theorem: [itex]\oint[/itex] V [itex]\cdot[/itex] dr = ∫∫ (∇ x V)[itex]\cdot[/itex]n d[itex]\sigma[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to split up the sides of the square. I get confused when [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is involved. I know the limits are at a/2.. not sure where to go after that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2
    For the direct integration, just write it out. What is [itex] d\vec{r} \cdot \vec{v} [/itex]? Since you're integrating over a square, you can just write the integral as a sum of four one-dimensional integrals wrt. x and y.

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    Ok well I'll try the top line of the square and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

From left to right:
    [itex]\oint[/itex] d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\vec{v}[/itex] from -a/2 to a/2

[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = (y,0,0)

[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = (x, a/2, 0)

d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = (1, 0, 0)

d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = y

but aren't the y limits a/2 to a/2, making the integral zero?

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4
    wait hold on [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = (d[itex]\vec{x}[/itex], 0, 0) ??

then it would be the integral from -a/2 to a/2 of y*dx where y = a/2?

but that's (a/2*x) from -a/2 to a/2 ... which equals zero?

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5
    Are you sure it equals zero? :)

7. Dec 10, 2012 #6
    oh, right, minus sign.. so it equals a^2/2 for the top line, and i just do it similarly for all the other sides? do i have to do it in the same order (clockwise)?

8. Dec 10, 2012 #7
    You got it

9. Dec 10, 2012 #8
    for the stokes' theorem part, would it just be the ∇[itex]\times[/itex][itex]\vec{v}[/itex] times the area of the square, which is a^2?

10. Dec 10, 2012 #9
    Yep, although it's not immediately clear what's the correct sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook