Linear alg. Who is really smart here and can solve this?

• Thread starter cleopatra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
I hope this helps you to understand it better.In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the point of intersection between two lines, one given in parametric form and the other given as a plane. After some initial confusion about whether the question is asking for a point or a line of intersection, the correct value of t is calculated and it is determined that the two do indeed intersect at a point. The concept of a line and a plane intersecting is explained using a simple analogy.
cleopatra

Homework Statement

1) x=3+t
y=2-4t
z=-5+11t

2)12x+10y-4z=46

Find the point where these two lines intersect.

12x+10*0-4*0=46
x=3,8...

doesn´t make any sense

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
cleopatra said:

Homework Statement

1) x=3+t
y=2-4t
z=-5+11t

2)12x+10y-4z=46

Find the point where these two lines intersect.

12x+10*0-4*0=46
x=3,8...

doesn´t make any sense

For starters, you don't have two intersecting lines...2) is the equation of a plane, not a line.

Secondly, you are right: what you did doesn't make any sense...why have you assumed that y=z=0 at the point of intersection?

Just plug your parametric equations for x,y, and z into the equation of the plane and solve for t...what does that value of t make x,y and z?

gabbagabbahey said:
For starters, you don't have two intersecting lines...2) is the equation of a plane, not a line.

Secondly, you are right: what you did doesn't make any sense...why have you assumed that y=z=0 at the point of intersection?

Just plug your parametric equations for x,y, and z into the equation of the plane and solve for t...what does that value of t make x,y and z?

cleopatra has already been told to do this twice on the other thread dedicated to this problem.

Dick said:
cleopatra has already been told to do this twice on the other thread dedicated to this problem.

hmmm...yes, I see...

Cleopatra, we are not here to do your homework for you, you need to show some attempt at a solution.

And creating multiple threads for the same topic is against forum rules.

36+12t+20-40t+20-44t=46
t=30/76

?

First of all let's be clear on the question.
Does it really say "find the point where these two lines intersect"?
Because I definitely get a line of intersection.

yes it says "point". That´s why it confuses me as well.

cleopatra said:
36+12t+20-40t+20-44t=46
t=30/76?

There you go. Well done. Now you can use your value of t to find x, y and z.
Ooops. Wait a minute. t isn't 30/76. Check your arithmetic.

cleopatra said:
36+12t+20-40t+20-44t=46
t=30/76

?

Careful; 44+40-12=72 not 76 :wink:

CompuChip said:

You might want to recheck your calculation then:wink:

CompuChip said:

How do you figure? Do you mean the line lies in the plane? I don't think so.

cleopatra said:
yes it says "point". That´s why it confuses me as well.

Why does this confuse you?

Imagine a sheet of paper as the plane, and your pencil as the line...if you lie your pencil flat on the paper, then the intersection is the entire line, but if you just poke a whole through the piece of paper and slide your pencil part way through it, the intersection is just a point...you can also make it so the two don't intersect at all by holding the pencil a few inches above the paper.

In this case, the line and the plane intersect at a point.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and vector spaces.

2. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used in image and signal processing, machine learning, cryptography, and many other areas.

3. How is linear algebra different from other branches of mathematics?

Linear algebra differs from other branches of mathematics in that it focuses on linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It also uses matrices and systems of linear equations to solve real-world problems, making it a powerful tool in various fields.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life application of linear algebra?

One example of a real-life application of linear algebra is in computer graphics. Linear transformations and matrices are used to represent and manipulate 3D objects in video games and animated movies. This allows for realistic and efficient rendering of images and animations.

5. Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

The difficulty level of learning linear algebra can vary from person to person. It requires a strong foundation in algebra and a good understanding of mathematical concepts. However, with proper study and practice, it can be mastered by anyone.