1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra, Adjoint of a Linear Operator and Inner Product Spaces

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each of the following inner product spaces V (over F) and linear transformation g:=V [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] F, find a vector y such that g(x) = <x,y> for all x element of V.

The particular case I'm having trouble with is:

V=P2(R), with <f,h>=[tex]\int_0^{1}[/tex] f(t)h(t)dt , g(f)=f(0)+f'(1).

From the textbook Linear Algebra (fourth edition) by Friedburg and Friends.
    p. 365 problem #2. c)
    2. Relevant equations

From the theorem given in the book, I know that:
    y=[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}[/tex][tex]\overline{g(v_i)}[/tex]vi

is a vector such that g(x)=<x,y> for all x element of V
    where B={v1,v2...vn} is an orthonormal basis for V.

I also know that the answer (printed in the back of the book) is y=210x2 - 204x + 33 but I have no idea how to get this answer!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assigned B={1,x,x2}={e1,e2,e3} as an orthornormal basis for P2(R) (the space of polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 over R).
    Then I did:
    y=g(1)e1 + g(x)e2 + g(x2)e3 because the field is R, I know that [tex]\overline{g(anything)}[/tex] = g(anything) so I don't worry about the conjugate of g(anything)
    =(1+0)e1 + (0+1)e2 + (0+2)e3
    =1e1 + 1e2 + 2e3
    = 1 + x + 2x2

But this isn't the answer from the book... I also have no idea why the inner product was defined for me, I assumed to test my y vector?
    I did I similar problem (part a) over R3 using the technique I applied above, and it worked fine.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If, as you state, {e_1,e_2,e_3}= {1,x, x^2} are an orthonormal basis then it would follow that

[tex]\int_0^1 e_i e_j dx[/tex]

would be 0 or 1.

The inner product was given to you so that you would know what the inner product was, since there are infinitely many inner products. For example, if in your R^3 example I defined {x,y} as <x,y>/2, then you would find a different answer for the question 'find y such that g(x) = {x,y}' than 'find y such that g(x)=<x,y>'.

4. Apr 30, 2009 #3
    Thank you :)
    So I should Gram-Schmidt the basis I have (and then normalize them) to find an orthonormal basis, and then do what I was doing, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook