1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra and Eigenvalues

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    Suppose A is a diagonlizable nxn matrix where 1 and -1 are the only eigenvalues (algebraic multiplicity is not given). Compute A^2.

The only thing I could think to do with this question is set A=PD(P^-1) (definition of a diagonalizable matrix) and then A^2=(PD(P^-1))(PD(P^-1))=P(D^2)(P^-1)

This is how I left it on the test but I am sure this isn't right. How can you solve this without having the original matrix A or the algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalues?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since A is diagonalizable, and its only eigenvalues are 1 and -1, then what form must D take? Even more to the point, what does D2 have to be?

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    But if the multiplicity of either eigenvalue is more than one, D changes form. Both P and D do. That's where I got stuck.

5. Nov 12, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course D changes form. D^2 doesn't. What is it? Once you figure out what it is, P won't matter.

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5
    Ah I see it now. Thanks to all who replied.

7. Nov 13, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That would be all two of us: Dick and myself...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted