1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Book Recommendation for Visual-Spatial Learners?

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    Can someone please recommend a linear algebra book that will be more visual friendly. I like to understand the concepts visually and the book that my class is using doesn't fit me too well. I am using Elementary Linear Algebra by Spence and Friedberg.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2
    I do not know any visual spatial books except the schuam's outline books, but even then you still have to do a little sketching of the art. I think I understand what you mean visualization is the key to learning and success.

Cheers, Tenshou.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    Definitely, I believe that it can enhance high level learning/understanding of the material versus simply memorizing things in words -- especially for visual learners. Look at people such as Feynman and Einstein for example - they were able to make leaps and bounds because they weren't tied down by rote memorization, they had a big advantage due to their conceptual understanding. There are scientific papers that state that visual-spatial learning promotes conceptual understanding.

There is no clear cut line defining high-level understanding of the material, it is a bit relative. To me, high level understanding is being able to close your eyes and picture the mathematics coming to life in animation and knowing why the expressions are the way they are.

It takes a lot of time though, and the pace of a course can go by quite fast.

5. Feb 18, 2013 #4
    Books on the mathematics of 3D graphics use pictures/spacial interpretations heavily.

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5
    Poole's Linear Algebra, I love that book. I think it's very visual, check it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook