1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra diagonalization

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    linear algebra diagonalization :(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

determine whether the given matrix is diagonalizable. where possible, find a matrix S such that
    S-1AS=Diag(λ12,...,λn)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to find the eigenvalues, which are λ=1,-4,4. This is given in the back of the book as well, which matched up evenly.

Now, I'm having trouble finding the matrix S. I know I need to find the eigenvectors, and place them as columns in an n x n matrix.

When I plug 1 in, say, I come up with
    0 0 0
    0 2 7
    1 1 -4

And for 4 I came up with
    -3 0 0
    0 -1 7
    1 1 -7

Neither of them seem to be coming out right.

The answer in the back of the book is:

15 0 0
    -7 7 1 = S
    2 1 -1

Thanks, all.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2
    Re: linear algebra diagonalization :(

let's see your rref. what is the nullspace for each of these matrices?

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: linear algebra diagonalization :(

With [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] your matrix requires that 0x+ 0y+ 0z= 0, 0x+ 2y+ 7z= 0, and x+ y- 4z= 0. The first equation is always true, of course, the second equation gives z= -(7/2)y and putting that into the third equation x- (7/2)z- 4z= x- (15/2)z= 0 so x= (15/2)z. Taking z= 2, an eigenvector corresponding to [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] is <15, -7, 2>. That is exactly what you say your textbook gives as the first column.

With [itex]\lambda= 4[/itex] the corres0 7 ponding equations are -3x= 0, 0x- y+ 7z= 0, and x+ y- 7z= 0. The first equation obvioiusly gives x= 0. Putting x= 0, the second and third equations both reduce to y- 7z= 0 or y= 7z. Taking z= 1 y= 7 so an eigenvalue corresponding to [itex]\lambda= -4[/itex] is <0, 7, 1> , exactly what your textbook gives for the second column.

With [itex]\lamba= 4[/itex] the matrix [itex]A- \lambda I[/itex] must be
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}5 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 7 & 7 \\ 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    which gives equations 5x+ 0y+ 0z= 0, 0x+ 7y+ 7z= 0, and x+ y+ z= 0. What eigevector do those give?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook