Linear algebra diagonalization

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a matrix S for diagonalization, with given eigenvalues and a suggested matrix in the textbook. The process of finding the matrix S involves finding eigenvectors and placing them as columns in an n x n matrix. The solution is found by setting up equations and solving for the eigenvectors, which match up with the textbook answer.
bakin
linear algebra diagonalization :(

Homework Statement

determine whether the given matrix is diagonalizable. where possible, find a matrix S such that
S-1AS=Diag(λ12,...,λn)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the eigenvalues, which are λ=1,-4,4. This is given in the back of the book as well, which matched up evenly.

Now, I'm having trouble finding the matrix S. I know I need to find the eigenvectors, and place them as columns in an n x n matrix.

When I plug 1 in, say, I come up with
0 0 0
0 2 7
1 1 -4

And for 4 I came up with
-3 0 0
0 -1 7
1 1 -7

Neither of them seem to be coming out right.

The answer in the back of the book is:

15 0 0
-7 7 1 = S
2 1 -1

Thanks, all.

Physics news on Phys.org

let's see your rref. what is the nullspace for each of these matrices?

With [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] your matrix requires that 0x+ 0y+ 0z= 0, 0x+ 2y+ 7z= 0, and x+ y- 4z= 0. The first equation is always true, of course, the second equation gives z= -(7/2)y and putting that into the third equation x- (7/2)z- 4z= x- (15/2)z= 0 so x= (15/2)z. Taking z= 2, an eigenvector corresponding to [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] is <15, -7, 2>. That is exactly what you say your textbook gives as the first column.

With [itex]\lambda= 4[/itex] the corres0 7 ponding equations are -3x= 0, 0x- y+ 7z= 0, and x+ y- 7z= 0. The first equation obvioiusly gives x= 0. Putting x= 0, the second and third equations both reduce to y- 7z= 0 or y= 7z. Taking z= 1 y= 7 so an eigenvalue corresponding to [itex]\lambda= -4[/itex] is <0, 7, 1> , exactly what your textbook gives for the second column.

With [itex]\lamba= 4[/itex] the matrix [itex]A- \lambda I[/itex] must be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}5 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 7 & 7 \\ 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which gives equations 5x+ 0y+ 0z= 0, 0x+ 7y+ 7z= 0, and x+ y+ z= 0. What eigevector do those give?

1. What is diagonalization in linear algebra?

Diagonalization in linear algebra is the process of transforming a matrix into a diagonal matrix by finding a set of eigenvalues and eigenvectors that can be used to diagonalize the matrix. This is useful for simplifying calculations and solving systems of equations.

2. How do you diagonalize a matrix?

To diagonalize a matrix, you must first find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, these eigenvectors are used to construct a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues along the diagonal. This process is known as the diagonalization process.

3. What is the significance of diagonalization in linear algebra?

Diagonalization plays an important role in linear algebra as it allows for easier computation and analysis of matrices. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the behavior of linear transformations.

4. Can all matrices be diagonalized?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized. Only square matrices with distinct eigenvalues can be diagonalized. If a matrix has repeated eigenvalues or is not a square matrix, it cannot be diagonalized.

5. How does diagonalization relate to eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Diagonalization is directly related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The eigenvalues of a matrix are used to construct the diagonal matrix, while the eigenvectors are used to transform the original matrix into its diagonal form. Eigenvectors are also the basis for the change of basis matrix used in diagonalization.