1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - differentiation operator

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a differentiation operator on P_3, and:

S = {p \in P_3 | p(0) = 0}.

I have to show that

1) D maps P_3 onto the subspace P_2

2) D : P_3 -> P_2 is NOT one-to-one

3) D: S -> P_3 is one-to-one

4) D: S -> P_3 is NOT onto.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) Ok, for this I look at the bases. The basis for P_3 is [x^2, x, 1] and since we are dealing with an differentiation operator, the new basis must be [x, 1] - which is the basis for P_2, which we wanted to show.

2) I have to show that ax^2+bx+c and 2ax+b can have the same values. Do I just choose some values and show that they are equal?

3 + 4) I have to show that 2ax + b and ax^2+bx+c cannot have same values?

I hope you can confirm/help me with this.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, since you are showing the "negation" of a general statement (that D is one to one) a counterexample will suffice.

No! For 3)you want to show that if p and q are distinct members of S, then Dp is NOT equal to Dq.
    For 4), you want to show that there exist some member, q, say, of P_3 (NOT P_2!) that is not of the form Dp for any p in S

4. Dec 15, 2007 #3
    First, thanks for replying.

For #3: I have to show that D : S -> P_3 is injective. I'm a little uncertain of this: If p and q are members of S, then they are on the form ax^2+bx. E.g.

p(x) = q(x) = 2x^2+2x

D(p(x) != D(q(x)) - aren't they equal?

For #4: If for example q(x) = 3x^2+x (a member of P_3), then D(p) != q(x)? Is that what I must show?

I hope you can clarify for me - thanks again!
  5. Dec 15, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you start with p= q, of course, they are! But I specifically said distinct members! If [itex]p\ne q[/itex], that is, if [itex]p= ax^2+ b[/itex] and [itex]q= cx^2+ d[/itex] where either [itex]c\ne a[/itex] or [itex]d\ne b[/itex] or both, is Dp= Dq?

No, that's not what you must show- it's not true! If [itex]p= x^3+ x^2/2[/itex] then Dp is equal to q. Your particular choice of q(x) is a member of P_2 (which is a subspace of P_3) and I said it was important to note that this problem is about P_3, not P_2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?