Linear algebra done right for qm

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of proofs in studying linear algebra for quantum mechanics and the importance of understanding them for a solid foundation. It is also suggested to consider alternative resources for a better understanding of the subject.
Ahmad Kishki
I am trying to learn the formalism of qm, so i am following the book linear algebra done right but is it worth it to study every proof? I mean what is the attitude to follow with such a proof oriented book to eventually have a solid basis in the libear algebra of qm?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not going to bother doing all the proofs, then you probably shouldn't be reading a pure math book.

Ahmad Kishki said:
is it worth it to study every proof?
In my opinion yes. Those proofs will really help you understand vector spaces and linear operators.

Likes bhobba
micromass said:
If you're not going to bother doing all the proofs, then you probably shouldn't be reading a pure math book.

I followed every proof from A to Z so far, but a friend told me that its not worth that much effort, so i thought it would be wise to consult physics forums.

Ahmad Kishki said:
I followed every proof from A to Z so far, but a friend told me that its not worth that much effort, so i thought it would be wise to consult physics forums.

It really depends what you want to get out of it. I'm pretty sure you don't need to read the book at all if your goal is just to understand QM. But if you want to understand the math behind it, then reading every proof seems necessary.

Ahmad Kishki said:

You need the proofs so you can see what's required to create your own in order to solve problems - as well as cement understanding.

Thanks
Bill

If you are worried the book is too serious, you can always try Linear Algebra Done Wrong :) http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

More seriously, to start on quantum mechanics you need the whole of Linear Algebra Done Right, but mostly the main ideas of each chapter. Also, quantum mechanics has lots of tricky infinite dimensional spaces, but the complete intuition for the subject can be gotten from quantum mechanics in finite dimensional vector spaces. A very good non-rigourous linear algebra book for quantum mechanics is Halmos's Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces.

Likes bhobba
atyy said:
If you are worried the book is too serious, you can always try Linear Algebra Done Wrong :) http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

More seriously, to start on quantum mechanics you need the whole of Linear Algebra Done Right, but mostly the main ideas of each chapter. Also, quantum mechanics has lots of tricky infinite dimensional spaces, but the complete intuition for the subject can be gotten from quantum mechanics in finite dimensional vector spaces. A very good non-rigourous linear algebra book for quantum mechanics is Halmos's Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces.

Why "More seriously"? LA done wrong is way better than Axler.

Likes bhobba and atyy

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important for quantum mechanics?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear transformations. It is important for quantum mechanics because it provides a powerful framework for representing and manipulating the quantum states of particles.

2. How does linear algebra help in solving problems in quantum mechanics?

Linear algebra helps in solving problems in quantum mechanics by providing a mathematical language for describing and analyzing quantum systems. It allows for the representation of quantum states, operators, and measurements in a concise and elegant manner.

3. What are some key concepts in linear algebra that are relevant to quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in linear algebra that are relevant to quantum mechanics include vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, inner product spaces, and unitary and Hermitian operators.

4. How can I apply linear algebra to understand quantum phenomena?

You can apply linear algebra to understand quantum phenomena by using it to represent and manipulate the mathematical objects that describe quantum systems. This can help you analyze the behavior of particles, understand the results of measurements, and predict the outcomes of quantum experiments.

5. Are there any resources available for learning linear algebra for quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning linear algebra for quantum mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts.