Linear Algebra Dynamical Systems

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding the solution for a dynamical system with a given matrix A and initial condition x,0. The matrix A is incorrectly copied, but the correct values are [.4, 0, and .2]. The problem involves finding all eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and expressing the initial condition as a sum of the eigenvectors. This will allow for the formula A^k(x0) to be written as a sum of the kth powers of the eigenvalues times the eigenvectors.
Anarchy6k2
1. A = {[0.4 0 .2], [0.3 0.8 0.3], [0.3 0.2 0.5]}. The vector v1 = {[0.1], [0.6], [0.3]} is an eigenvector for A, and two eigenvalues are .5 and .2. Construct the solution of the Dynamical system x,k+1 = Ax,k that satisfies x,0 = (0, 0.3, 0.7)

My attempt

I tried to work this one out but I'm just lost as to where to begin, I think i have to start by finding all the eigenvalues and put them in a diagonal matrix and then put them in the equation: x,k = c1([tex]\lambda1[/tex])v1 + c2([tex]\lambda2[/tex])v2 Anyone got any ideas that could help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
By "solution to the dynamical system" you mean a formula for xk for all k?

One problem I see is that you haven't copied the problem correctly! Your "A" is clearly supposed to be a 3 by 3 matrix but you have only two values for the first row!

In any case you are given two of the eigenvalues and an eigenvector. Although, given two of the eigenvalues, it should be simple to find the third, I suspect that the eigenvector you are given corresponds to the third eigenvalue. Multiply A by <0.1, 0.6, 0.3> and see what multiple of <0.1, 0.6, 0.3> it is. If that multiple is not 0.5 or 0.2, then it is your third eigenvalue. If that multiple is either 0.5 or 0.2, then knowing that eigenvector doesn't help at all, but you should still be able to work out the characteristic polynomial for A, divide by (x- 0.5) and (x- 0.2) and have a single (x- a) left so that a is the third eigenvector. Since you haven't given A correctly here, I don't know which of those will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
no its copied correctly the values are [.4, 0, and .2]and yes a formula for x,i for all k

You'll need to find all of the eigenvectors and then how to express (0,0.3,0.7) as a sum of them. Then you can write A^k(x0) as a sum of the kth powers of the eigenvalues times the eigenvectors.

1. What is Linear Algebra Dynamical Systems?

Linear Algebra Dynamical Systems (LADS) is a branch of mathematics that combines the concepts of linear algebra and dynamical systems. It involves the study of systems that evolve over time and can be described using linear equations and matrices.

2. How is Linear Algebra used in Dynamical Systems?

Linear Algebra is used in Dynamical Systems to represent and analyze the behavior of a system over time. Matrices and vectors are used to describe the state of the system at different time points, and linear transformations are used to model the dynamics of the system.

3. What are the applications of Linear Algebra Dynamical Systems?

LADS has numerous applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, such as population dynamics, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

4. What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra Dynamical Systems?

The key concepts in LADS include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and stability analysis. These concepts are used to understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future states.

5. What are some tools and techniques used in Linear Algebra Dynamical Systems?

Some common tools and techniques used in LADS include matrix operations, Gaussian elimination, diagonalization, and phase portraits. These tools help to simplify and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.