Linear Algebra - Equation for a Line Through 2 Points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric form of a line through two points in Rn, the intersection of (n-1) hyperplanes as well as the hyperplane crossing the origin that is normal to the vector connecting the two points. The solution involves using the dot product to find the normal vector for each hyperplane, with a total of n-1 hyperplanes being found. It is then shown that the intersection of these hyperplanes must lie on the line connecting the two points.
Throwback

Homework Statement

In Rn, define A = (0, 0, ..., 0) and B = (1, -1, ..., (-1)n-1)

Find (1) the parametric form of the line through A and B, (2) as an intersection of (n-1) hyperplanes, and (3) the hyperplane crossing the origin, normal to AB.

Homework Equations

AB = ((1-0),(-1-0),...,(-1)n-1-0) = (1,-1,...,(-1)n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

A = (0,0,...,0)
B = (1,-1,...,(-1)n-1)

AB = ((1-0),(-1-0),...,(-1)n-1-0)
AB = (1,-1,(-1)n-1)

Parametric form:

[x1 x2 ... xn] = [0 0 ... 0] + s[1 -1 ... (-1)n-1]

Intersection with plane (I'm really lost here):

a1(x1)+a2(x2)+...+an(xn)
a1(0+1s)+a2(0-1s)+...+an(0+(-1)n-1s)
a1(s)-a2(s)+...+an((-1)n-1s)

Hyperplane crossing the origin, normal to AB:

Would this just be the nAB x nplane?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general the equation of a hyperplane through the origin is N.x=0 (where N is the normal to the plane, x is a general point on the plane and '.' means dot product), right? In part (3) they are asking for a plane that's normal to the vector AB. What would that be? For part (2) you want n-1 different planes that contain your line. I'll give you a hint. Put N=(1,1,0,...,0). Does that contain your line? Can you give me n-2 more?

Last edited:
I'm still having some trouble picturing this...

So for part (3), I need to find a plane that's normal to vector AB.

Let n be my normal vector, AB. I now have to calculate n.p, where p is some point that lies in the plane. I'll use A for my point since it wants it at the origin and A is all zeros. I then have the following:

1*0+(-1)*0+... which is equal to 0.

For a plane, I'd typically use ax+by+cz=d in R3. Because this is Rn, I assume this extends out through n? Since I solved for d via n.B, d=0. The coefficients in the plane equation will be equal to my normal vector values. My plane is then (hopefully):

1x1-1x2+...+(-1)n-1xn=0
x1-x2+...+(-1)n-1xn=0

Is that my plane in general form?

Now, again, I'm intimidated by (2). I'm not quite sure where you got that N, Dick. Is is because N (the vector AB) is normal to the plane. We want other hyperplanes that intersect said hyperplane, and then cannot be normal, otherwise they'd be parallel. So we choose a different N?

Last edited:
Throwback said:
I'm still having some trouble picturing this...

So for part (3), I need to find a plane that's normal to vector AB.

Let n be my normal vector, AB. I now have to calculate n.p, where p is some point that lies in the plane. I'll use A for my point since it wants it at the origin and A is all zeros. I then have the following:

1*0+(-1)*0+... which is equal to 0.

For a plane, I'd typically use ax+by+cz=d in R3. Because this is Rn, I assume this extends out through n? Since I solved for d via n.B, d=0. The coefficients in the plane equation will be equal to my normal vector values. My plane is then (hopefully):

1x1-1x2+...+(-1)n-1xn=0
x1-x2+...+(-1)n-1xn=0

Is that my plane in general form?

Now, again, I'm intimidated by (2). I'm not quite sure where you got that n, Dick.

For part (3) it may just be that the answer is so simple it's confusing you. AB.x=0 is a plane normal to the direction of vector AB, isn't it? There's really nothing to check. For part (2) your line is [s,-s,s,-s,...,(-1)^(n-1)s], right? I picked the vector N=[1,1,0,0,..0] because I noticed that N.[s,-s,s,-s,...,(-1)^(n-1)s]=s-s=0. So all points on the line are normal to N. So all points on the line are in the plane normal to N. Now give me some more normals.

Last edited:
N3 = (0,0,1,1,0,0,...,0)

N4 = (0,0,0,0,1,1,...,0)

Yeah?

Because these would result in the following dot products (with AB):

(0+0+1-1+0+0+...+0)=0, thus normal
(0+0+0+0+1-1+0+0+...+0)=0, thus normal

Throwback said:
N3 = (0,0,1,1,0,0,...,0)

N4 = (0,0,0,0,1,1,...,0)

Yeah?

Because these would result in the following dot products (with AB):

(0+0+1-1+0+0+...+0)=0, thus normal
(0+0+0+0+1-1+0+0+...+0)=0, thus normal

True, but that's only going to give you about n/2 normals, right? You want n-1. What about (0,1,1,0,0,...0)?

Yeah, because I was shifting over the pair of ones by two every time, and hence decreased by n/2 total normals -- makes sense. I'm not quite sure why I did that; probably just didn't think about the easy math clearly enough.

So, just shifting the pair of twos will result in a different normal vector, and for n-1, we'd have (0,1,1,0,...0), and n-2 (0,0,1,1,0,...,0), etc.

Throwback said:
Yeah, because I was shifting over the pair of ones by two every time, and hence decreased by n/2 total normals -- makes sense. I'm not quite sure why I did that; probably just didn't think about the easy math clearly enough.

So, just shifting the pair of twos will result in a different normal vector, and for n-1, we'd have (0,1,1,0,...0), and n-2 (0,0,1,1,0,...,0), etc.

Ok! So that gives you n-1 hyperplanes that contain your line. Now can you prove (if you have to, you might just have to show them without proving it, I'll leave that call up to you) that the ONLY points in the intersection of all of those n-1 hyperplanes must lie on your line?

1. What is the equation for a line through 2 points in linear algebra?

The equation for a line in linear algebra is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. To find the equation for a line through 2 points, we first need to calculate the slope using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points. Then, we can plug the slope and one of the points into the equation y = mx + b to solve for b, giving us the final equation for the line.

2. How do I graph a line through 2 points in linear algebra?

To graph a line through 2 points, you will need to plot the two points on a coordinate plane and then draw a straight line connecting them. The two points will serve as the endpoints of the line. If you have the equation for the line, you can also use that to help you graph it by finding the y-intercept and using the slope to determine additional points on the line.

3. Can a line through 2 points be vertical?

No, a line through 2 points cannot be vertical. In linear algebra, a vertical line has an undefined slope, which means it does not have a defined value for m. However, the equation for a line through 2 points requires us to calculate the slope, so if the slope is undefined, the equation cannot be solved. This means that a vertical line cannot be represented by a single equation and therefore cannot be a line through 2 points.

4. What if the two points for a line are the same?

If the two points are the same, this means that we only have one point and therefore cannot find the equation for a line through 2 points. In order to find the equation, we need two distinct points with different coordinates. Additionally, if the two points are the same, this means that all points on the line would have the same x and y values, resulting in a line that is just a single point.

5. Can a line through 2 points have a negative slope?

Yes, a line through 2 points can have a negative slope. The slope of a line can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the direction of the line. A negative slope means that the line is decreasing as it moves from left to right on a coordinate plane. The slope of a line through 2 points can be calculated using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), which will result in a negative value if the y-values decrease as the x-values increase.