Linear algebra: Find the square roots of 8 and 10 in F11 (integers mod 11)

In summary, the problem asks for the square root of 8 and 10 in the extended field \mathbb{F}_{11}[i], but it seems that field extension is the only solution.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Find the square roots of 8 and 10 in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex], ie. the integers mod 11.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I ran over all the possibilities, but I can't find it. It has been suggested to me that perhaps you could express it in terms of other square roots somehow, but I am lost finding it. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it appears that 8 and 10 have no square roots in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex]. Have you covered field extensions??

I don't think we have, or perhaps we might have done some stuff pertaining to them, but not actually calling them field extension (we've done, for example, direct sums, quotient spaces etc.). But would then one be able to find the square root of those numbers in an extended field? Also, this is part of a diagonalisation question, so would finding a root in an extended field change the applicability of the solution?

Can you perhaps post the entire questions, because this is impossible to do without field extensions.

Basically, what I am getting at is: extend the field [tex]\mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex] with a number i which satisfies [tex]i^2=-1[/tex] (mod 11). You then obtain a field [tex]\mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex] whose numbers are of the form a+bi with [tex]a,b\in \mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex]. In the extended field [tex]\mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex], one can find square roots of 8 and 10. For example: the square root of 10 is simply i.

I'd rather not post the entire question just to be on the safe side (although I'm basically posting the question, because I think there might've been an error somewhere in the problem itself), but we were given a matrix T and asked to diagonalise it. I've done that, double checked the solution (also on Wolfram Alpha, just to be sure there isn't a mistake on my part there), and then we are to use that diagonalized matrix in order to find the square root of T, knowing that

[tex]D = X^{-1}TX[/tex],

where D is the diagonal matrix, and X is the matrix of eigenvectors. So

[tex]\sqrt T = X \sqrt D X^{-1}[/tex],

and since D is diagonal, the entries in its square root are just square roots of entries in D.

But I do see that the question asks that in our solution for square roots of T the entries should be numbers in [tex]\mathbb{F}_{11}[/tex] (ie. numbers from the list 0, 1, ..., 10), so it seems that field extension then couldn't be the answer, right?

Well, I see no other answer. The only way you can find a square root of 8 and 10, is by a field extension...

Alright, thanks for the help, I'm glad it's not just me not being crafty enough :smile:

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vector spaces, and their transformations. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve problems related to linear systems and structures.

What are square roots in linear algebra?

Square roots in linear algebra refer to finding the numbers that, when multiplied by themselves, result in a given number. In other words, it is the inverse operation of squaring a number.

What does it mean to find the square roots of 8 and 10 in F11?

In linear algebra, finding the square roots of 8 and 10 in F11 means finding the numbers in the field of integers modulo 11 that, when squared, result in 8 and 10, respectively.

How can I find the square roots of 8 and 10 in F11?

To find the square roots of 8 and 10 in F11, you can use the quadratic formula or the method of completing the square. These methods involve solving a quadratic equation in the field of integers modulo 11.

Why is finding square roots in F11 important in linear algebra?

Finding square roots in F11 is important in linear algebra because it allows us to solve problems related to linear systems and structures in a finite field. It has applications in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer graphics.