1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex algebra problem (roots)

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First off i wasn't sure if i should put this in precalc or here so i just tossed a coin

I must find the roots of the expression z^4 +4=0 (which i've seen repeatedly on the internet)
    Use it to factorize z^4 +4 into quadratic factors with real coefficients
    The answer is (z^2 + 2z + 2)(z^2 - 2z + 2)

2. Relevant equations
    Just the one given on the top

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so, the question is quite basic as i've seen people pull it off in 10 mins, BUT after 3 semesters of dealing with only real numbers i forgot about complex ones, and now that i took complex analysis i'm in trouble D:
    First off i had to search Euler's identity, that's how lost i was
    I managed to establish that the magnitude of Z (r) is sqrt(2), i also got to the point where phi is -pi/4 +k*pi/2
    so the 4 roots would be given by the sqrt(2) * e^i*phi given k takes the values within (0,1,2,3)
    This is where i die i have no idea how to turn those into the final equation, i know the 4 solutions are
    (+/-)1 (+/-)i, and from there is just polynomial algebra, but i don't know how to get there, Am i supposed to be able to deduct this as obvious from my last step?
    Thanks in advance, i firmly believe there are no such thing as dumb questions, but given this is something I'm supposed to manage, it's quite the candidate :D

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write ##-1## as
    [tex] -1 = e^{i \pi} = e^{3 i \pi} = e^{-i \pi} = e^{-3 i \pi},[/tex]
    so the four 4th roots of ##-1## are obtained by taking 1/4 of the argument of each of the above. That is, the four roots ##r_1,r_2,r_3,r_4## are
    [tex]
    r_1 = e^{i \pi/4} = (1+i)/ \sqrt{2}, \; r_2 = e^{i 3 \pi/4} = (-1 + i)/ \sqrt{2} \\
    r_3 = e^{-i \pi/4} = (1-i)/ \sqrt{2}, \; r_4 = e^{-i 3 \pi/4} = (-1-i)/ \sqrt{2} [/tex]
    From these you can determine the four 4th roots of ##-4##.

Note that ##e^{i \theta} = \cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta)##, so we can easily write the four roots in ##a + ib## form, just using elementary geometry/trigonometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted