1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra geometry of orthogonal decomposition

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y=[4 8 1]^T u_1 = [2/3 1/3 2/3]^T u_2=[-2/3 2/3 1/3]^T

Part 1: Write y as the sum of a vector y hat in W and a vector z in W complement

Part 2: Describe the geometric relationship between the plane W in R^3 and the vectors y hat and z from the part above.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the first part I think.
    y = [2 4 5]^T + [2 4 -4]^T

Part 2 is what i'm struggling with. I don't understand the relationship so I don't really know how to describe it. Can someone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    Remember that a plane through the origin in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is completely determined by any line perpendicular to it. In other words, if you pick any line in 3-space, you're only going to be able to find one plane through the origin which is perpendicular to it.

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    I'm still confused. The only thing I really know about this is that ý is called the orthogonal projection of y onto W. But I don't understand what each of the components of y actually mean or do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook