1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LINEAR ALGEBRA: image of vectors through other basis

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In ##E^3##, given the orthonormal basis B, made of the following vectors ## v_1=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1,0); v_2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,-1,0); v_3=(0,0,1)##
    and the endomorphism ##\phi : E^3 \to E^3## such that ##M^{B,B}_{\phi}##=A where
    (1 0 0)
    (0 2 0) = A
    (0 0 0)
    find:
    ##\phi(e_1), \phi(e_2), \phi(e_3)## written with respect to the canonical basis
    (where e1, e2, e3 are vector of the canonical basis ##\mathcal{E}##)

3. The attempt at a solution

here is what I thought, but having no solutions i don't know if it is correct:

I write the vectors of the canonical basis as combination of the vectors of B, also obtaining the ##M^{B,\mathcal{E}}##:

(1,0,0)=##a_{11} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1,0)+ a_{21} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,-1,0)+ a_{31} \cdot (0,0,1)##

(0,1,0)=##a_{12} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1,0)+ a_{22} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,-1,0)+ a_{32} \cdot (0,0,1)##

(0,0,1)=##a_{13} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1,0)+ a_{23} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,-1,0)+ a_{33} \cdot (0,0,1)##

getting:

(##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## 0)
    (##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## -##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## 0)= ##M^{B, \mathcal{E}}##
    ( 0 0 1)

so ##\phi(e_1), \phi(e_2), \phi(e_3)## are the columns of this matrix.
    Is it correct?
    thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't thought it all through, but it doesn't look correct to me. I don't see why those columns would contain the ##\mathcal E##-components of the ##\phi(e_i)##. Do you have an argument for it? Also, I think I have calculated ##\phi(e_3)##, and my result is different from yours.

I think the strategy here should be to start with
    $$\phi(e_i)=\phi\left( \sum_j M^{B,\mathcal E}_{ji} v_j\right) =\sum_j M^{B,\mathcal E}_{ji}\phi(v_i).$$ Now you just have to compute the ##\phi(v_i)##. (Did I understand your definition of ##M^{B,\mathcal E}## correctly?)

4. Jun 3, 2013 #3
    i don't think i have understood what you mean :(. could you please do an example of the calculation you have done by using a vector?

5. Jun 3, 2013 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't want to give away too much information. We only give hints here, not complete solutions. But I can of course explain what I did there. I just rewrote ##e_i## as a linear combination of the ##v_i## and then I used that ##\phi## is linear.

The ##\phi(v_i)## are easy to calculate, since you've been given the matrix representation of ##\phi## in the ##\{v_i\}## basis.

6. Jun 3, 2013 #5
    thank you :) solved it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted