Linear algebra- Inverse of a linear mapping

In summary, Micro stated that the inverse of a linear map is the same as the original map but with the sign reversed. The inverse of a map with two inputs is the map with one input reversed.
manuel325

Homework Statement

Let L: V →V be a linear mapping such that L^2+2L+I=0, show that L is invertible (I is the identity mapping)
I have no idea how to solve this problem or how to start,I mean this problem is different from the ones I solved before, the answer is "The inverse of L is -L-2 "
If someone please can explain to me how to solve this ,would be great :cool:. Thanks in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: ##I=-L^2-2L##.

micromass said:

hmm ,that doesn't tell me anything :confused:

manuel325 said:
hmm ,that doesn't tell me anything :confused:

Factor out ##L## in the right hand side.

micromass said:
Factor out ##L## in the right hand side.
hmm ok you mean I=L(-L-2) but can you operate with L^2 like it was a number?? , isn't L^2 =L°L ?? I'm confused:confused:

Very good remark!

The answer you can operate with it like it was a number, but that's perhaps not obvious.
The property I'm using here is that

[tex]A\circ (B + C) = A\circ B + A\circ C[/tex]

and

[tex]A\circ (\alpha B) = \alpha (A\circ B)[/tex]

These properties are true, but it requires a separate proof.

Likes 1 person
Those properties are, in fact, the definition of "linear transformation". That's all the proof you need.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
Those properties are, in fact, the definition of "linear transformation". That's all the proof you need.

I wouldn't say it's the definition. It still requires a proof.

ok , I see .Thank you very much :smile:

Hmm I guess there's something that's still not clear for me , the first property of composition you wrote works for three linear mappings right?, but in this case we have two linear mappings and a number :L°(-L-2) I know I'm wrong somewhere but I don't know where ,I'm confused :confused: .Any help would be appreciated.

micromass said:

Micro stated this here, you should be able to see that :

##I = L(-L-2)##

Then multiplying both sides by ##L^{-1}## on the left yields :

##L^{-1}I = L^{-1}L(-L-2)##
##L^{-1} = -(L+2)##

Likes 1 person
Zondrina said:

##I = L(-L-2)##

##L^{-1}I = L^{-1}L(-L-2)##
##L^{-1} = -(L+2)##
Ok so ##L^{-1}I = L^{-1}L(-L-2)## yields ##I \circ (-L-2)=-L-2## right ?? . Thanks

Zondrina said:

##I = L(-L-2)##

No, you cannot do that. You are proving here that ##L^{-1}## exists, so you cannot assume it exists in the proof!

voko said:
No, you cannot do that. You are proving here that ##L^{-1}## exists, so you cannot assume it exists in the proof!

You are right !:smile: could you explain please why ## L\circ(-L-2)=-L^{2}-2L## ?? if "2" was a linear mapping then the properties would work for this, right? but 2 is a scalar.

##-L - 2## is wrong to begin with. You cannot add (or subtract) numbers from linear maps. The correct expression is ##-L - 2I##.

Likes 1 person
If there exist such an inverse map, what property does it have i.e. what can you tell about the multiplication of L and [itex]L^{-1}[/itex] ? Or the same question, what is the definition of the inverse map?

Last edited:
voko said:
##-L - 2## is wrong to begin with. You cannot add (or subtract) numbers from linear maps. The correct expression is ##-L - 2I##.

It makes sense now ,thanks .

1. What is the inverse of a linear mapping?

The inverse of a linear mapping is a function that reverses the effect of the original linear mapping. It is denoted by f-1 and has the property that f-1(f(x)) = x for all inputs x.

2. How is the inverse of a linear mapping calculated?

The inverse of a linear mapping is calculated by using the inverse matrix method. This involves finding the inverse of the coefficient matrix of the linear mapping and multiplying it by the inverse of the constant vector. The resulting vector is the inverse of the linear mapping.

3. When does a linear mapping have an inverse?

A linear mapping only has an inverse if it is a one-to-one and onto function. This means that for every input, there is a unique output and every output has a corresponding input. If a linear mapping is not one-to-one and onto, it does not have an inverse.

4. What is the importance of the inverse of a linear mapping?

The inverse of a linear mapping is important because it allows us to solve equations involving linear mappings. It also helps in finding the original input when given the output of a linear mapping, and vice versa. Additionally, the inverse of a linear mapping is used in various applications such as data compression and cryptography.

5. Can the inverse of a linear mapping be used for non-linear mappings?

No, the inverse of a linear mapping can only be used for linear mappings. For non-linear mappings, we use the concept of inverse functions, which is different from the inverse of a linear mapping. Non-linear mappings do not have a constant coefficient matrix, making it impossible to use the inverse matrix method to find their inverse.