1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Kernel, Basis, Dimensions, injection, surjections

1. Mar 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    SK85YSZ.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    uP1S7hh.jpg

Can someone please check my work?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Some comments:

a) You have not given the entire kernel. You have just produced a basis (or at least a spanning set) of the kernel.

d) I don't see why you care about the range here.

h) You did some calculations to show the map is invertible. OK. But there is a much easier way, do you see which one?

4. Mar 30, 2014 #3
    For a), I don't know how to write out the full set of vectors. All I know is that the vectors are linear combinations of the basis of the kernel.

I'm not sure what you mean by range for d). Injection refers to one-to-one and a theorem states that if the rank is equal to the number of columns, then it is injective or one-to-one. So if the rank is not equal to the numbers, it is not injective.

For h), I can't think of any easier way or any other way for that matter. Does your method involve determinants? If so, I didn't learn those yet.

5. Mar 30, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, just write that out:

[tex]\textrm{Ker}(L) = \{(-2\alpha-\beta,3\alpha,\alpha,\beta)~\vert~\alpha,\beta\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]

OK, this is right. I was thinking of ##L## being injective if and only if ##\textrm{dim}(\textrm{Ker}(L)) = 0##.

If a function is invertible, then it must be both injective and surjective. That's not the case here, is it?

6. Mar 30, 2014 #5
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted