1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Linear indepency of a set of Polynomials

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let {p, q} be linearly independent polynomials. Show that {p, q, pq} is linearly independent if and only if deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1.

2. Relevant equations

λ1p + λ2q = 0 ⇔ λ1 = λ2 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

λ1p + λ2q + λ3pq = 0

I know if λ3 = 0, then the coefficients of and q must be zero, but if λ3 ≠ 0, how do I show the degrees must be greater than or equal to 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    Assuming {p, q} is linearly independent.
    {p, q, pq} is linearly independent [itex]\Leftrightarrow [/itex] deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1.

{p, q, pq} is linearly independent [itex]\Rightarrow [/itex] deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1. (1)
    {p, q, pq} is linearly independent [itex]\Leftarrow [/itex] deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1. (2)

You can easily prove (1) by the transposition (~q => ~p):
    If deg p =0 or deg q =0 then {p, q, pq} is not linearly independent

And (2), if deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1 .What happens with deg pq?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply! Today I was able to prove (1) by contraposition but I thought that meant I had to prove (2) by contraposition as well. Can I just prove the positive statement for (2)?

Edit: Wait, taking statement A as {p, q, pq} is linearly independent and statement B as deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1, is the contrapositive of (1) ~A => ~B or ~B => ~A? I used the first one, but I'm beginning to think its the second one.

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    (1)
    {p, q, pq} is linearly independent as P
    deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1 as Q
    ~P is {p, q, pq} is linearly dependent
    ~Q is p < 1 or deg q < 1
    Then ~Q => ~P is:
    ~Q is p < 1 or deg q < 1 =>~P is {p, q, pq} is linearly dependent

PD: Is contraposition the right word? I searched in wiki to know how it's named in English, in Spanish is "contrarecripoco" and I thought it translation was "transposition"

(2) I thought something like:
    If deg p ≥ 1 and deg q ≥ 1, then deg (pq) ≥ 2, so λ_{1}p + λ_{2}q + λ_{3}pq = 0 only if λ_{3}=0, and as p and q are linearly independent...
    I don't remember exactly how to show that degres must be lesser than 1, but if you write both polynomials as sums, then the product of them will have a x with a power greater than one and it thought it was trivial enough to say that you can't make λ_{1}*(0)+λ_{2}*(0)+λ_{3}*aX^{n}=0 (with a≠0) without making λ_{3}=0 (because the polynomial sum to be equal to zero needs to be every coefficient of a power of X be equal to zero).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted