1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Linear Transformations, Change of Basis

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to prove this formula, but I'm not sure how to prove it.

[T]C = P(C<-B).[T]B.P(C<-B)-1

whereby B and C are bases in finite dimensional vector space V, and T is a linear transformation. Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

T(x)=Ax
    [x]C=P(C<-B)[x]B
    Similar matrices.

3. The attempt at a solution

T(x)=Ax
    [T]C=[[T(c1)]C...[T(cn)]C

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose [x]B is some vector x represented in basis B and that Tx= y (independent of the basis).

Then, by definition of "PB<-C", PC<-B is P-1B<-C is so P^{-1}B<-C[x]C= [x]B.

Then TBP^{-1}B<-C[x]CxC= TB[x]B= [y]B and, finally, PB<-CTBP^{-1}B<-C[x]C= PB<-C[y]C= [y]_B.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3

Okay, thanks! I did manage to get something like that before, but I got stuck because I didn't do the tx=y thing.

But may I ask, why does Tx= y need to be independent of the basis?

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A linear transformation, T, is a function from vector space U to vector space V such that T(au+bv)= aT(u)+ bT(v). There are no "bases" required for its definition. Bases are only necessary to write the linear transformation as a matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook