1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Algebra - Linear transformations

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

which of the following are linear transformations.

a) L(x,y,z) = (0,0)
    b) L(x,y,z) = (1 ,2, -1)
    c) L(x,y,z) = (x^2 + y, y - z)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that L is a linear transformation if L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u).

I am not sure how to apply that to those equations.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Start with a couple of vectors, say u = <x1, y1, z1> and v = <x2, y2, z2>.

For a), see if L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u). Do the same for b) and c).

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    I guess my problem is, I don't know how to apply that to L(x,y,z) = (0,0). If it was L(v) = Av I would understand. I just don't understand the transformations themselves and how to apply them.

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well if it was L(v)=Av it wouldn't be interesting to ask if the transformation was linear!

For example for the first one if (x,y,z)=(1,2,4)

L(1,2,4)=(0,0).

And if (x,y,z)=(1,1,1)

L(1,1,1)=(0,0)

So L(1,2,4)+L(1,1,1)=(0,0)+(0,0)=(0,0).

Is this equal to L(2,3,5)? ((1,2,4)+(1,1,1))

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5
    Ok, I think I understand. so that is linear because L(2,3,5) = (0,0). And L(ku) = kL(u) = (0,0).

But for b), the second part doesn't hold up because L(ku) = (1,2,-1) but kL(u) = k(1,2,-1) and they are not equal for all k.

and c probably shows something similar. I will have to write it out in a bit in Maple.

Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook