1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra (Linearly Dependent)

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a = [2, 2, 2]
    b = [3, 0, 1]

Find all vectors c so that the vectors a, b, c are linearly dependent.

2. Relevant equations

(a x b) . c
    ( . = dot product)....is this how i'm supposed to get started?

linearly dependent would mean make it equal to zero right?

3. The attempt at a solution

when i use the triple product i get 2c1 + 4c2 - 6c3 = 0
    i dont know where to go from there

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's one way to express it. The set of all vectors c=[c1,c2,c3] such that 2c1 + 4c2 - 6c3 = 0. If you want to go one step further you solve your equation for, say c1. Then you could express c in terms of just the two parameters c2 and c3. If you think about it a little bit, you could probably find a way to express c in terms of two parameters without even going through the triple product.

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    Thanks =)

So if I was going to solve for c1 would it be something like

c1 = -2c3 + 3c3

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean 'something like'?? Sure! So c=[-2c3+3c3,c2,c3] for any choice of c2 and c3. Now can you find a way to bypass the triple product?

6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
    okay sweet, thank you! =)

Not really, i'm not sure how it would work the other way without the triple product.

7. Jan 25, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about c=s*[2, 2, 2]+t*[3, 0, 1]?

8. Jan 25, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What Dick is suggesting here is the simplest, most straightforward approach. If you want to find all vectors c so that {a, b, c} is a linearly dependent set, and you can tell by inspection that a and b are linearly independent, then c must be a linear combination of a and b. This is exactly what Dick's equation represents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook