Linear Algebra (Linearly Dependent)

In summary: So any vector c can be written as a linear combination of a and b, with coefficients s and t. This is equivalent to saying that c is equal to some scalar multiple of a plus some scalar multiple of b.
tweety24

Homework Statement

a = [2, 2, 2]
b = [3, 0, 1]

Find all vectors c so that the vectors a, b, c are linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

(a x b) . c
( . = dot product)...is this how I'm supposed to get started?

linearly dependent would mean make it equal to zero right?

The Attempt at a Solution

when i use the triple product i get 2c1 + 4c2 - 6c3 = 0
i don't know where to go from there

Physics news on Phys.org
That's one way to express it. The set of all vectors c=[c1,c2,c3] such that 2c1 + 4c2 - 6c3 = 0. If you want to go one step further you solve your equation for, say c1. Then you could express c in terms of just the two parameters c2 and c3. If you think about it a little bit, you could probably find a way to express c in terms of two parameters without even going through the triple product.

Thanks =)

So if I was going to solve for c1 would it be something like

c1 = -2c3 + 3c3

What do you mean 'something like'?? Sure! So c=[-2c3+3c3,c2,c3] for any choice of c2 and c3. Now can you find a way to bypass the triple product?

okay sweet, thank you! =)

Not really, I'm not sure how it would work the other way without the triple product.

tweety24 said:
okay sweet, thank you! =)

Not really, I'm not sure how it would work the other way without the triple product.

How about c=s*[2, 2, 2]+t*[3, 0, 1]?

Dick said:
How about c=s*[2, 2, 2]+t*[3, 0, 1]?
What Dick is suggesting here is the simplest, most straightforward approach. If you want to find all vectors c so that {a, b, c} is a linearly dependent set, and you can tell by inspection that a and b are linearly independent, then c must be a linear combination of a and b. This is exactly what Dick's equation represents.

What is linearly dependent in linear algebra?

Linearly dependent refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors in the same space.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent?

A set of vectors is linearly dependent if at least one of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors. This can be determined by using the determinant or row reduction method on a matrix formed by the set of vectors.

What is the significance of linearly dependent vectors in linear algebra?

Linearly dependent vectors can be used to create a basis for a vector space, which is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in that space. They can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and determine if a system has a unique solution or not.

Can a set of linearly dependent vectors be linearly independent?

No, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly dependent and linearly independent. If a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it means that at least one of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors, making them linearly dependent on each other.

How can linearly dependent vectors be represented geometrically?

In two dimensions, linearly dependent vectors lie on the same line or are parallel to each other. In three dimensions, they lie on the same plane or are parallel to each other. In higher dimensions, they lie on the same hyperplane.