1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Normal and Unitary Matrices

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose V is a unitary space [over C] and T: V -> V is a normal transformation that satisfies T-1=-T. Prove that T is unitary transformation.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that T is unitary if and only if it is normal and the absolute value of its eigenvalues is 1. [*2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    T-1=-T so T2=-I, now suppose a is an eigenvalue of T so T2v=a2v=-Iv what in turn means [itex]a=\pm 1[/itex].
    So from [*2] we can conclude that T is unitary.

Have I missed something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    Did you prove normality? Also, can you be more specific about V? Is it just a vector space? A Banach Space? Hilbert Space? Is it finite or infinite dimension? What definition of unitary are you using?

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    Thanks for posting!

Normality is given.
    V is a general unitary space. [it means V is a general space over the complex field]
    Forgot to mention: V is finite dimension space.
    Unitary definition:[itex]T \cdot T^*=T^* \cdot T=I[/itex]

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4
    Ah yes, I see now that it was given. It looks fine to me, though I have to say I've never heard of a "general unitary space." Perhaps this is okay in this instance since [itex] \mathbb C[/itex] is algebraically self-dual, but normally one requires at the very least a normed vector space.

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5
    So I guess the prove is ok? [This question was formulated by myself so it is totally possible that I didn't define the question itself well]

What is normed vector space?

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6
    It looks fine so long as the result about being normal with modulus 1 is true. I think it's true, but haven't run through the proof myself. In any case, I would say you're good to go.

A normed vector space is a vector space with a norm. :) Not sure I can be more explicit than that.

8. Oct 28, 2011 #7
    Thanks!

I though every vector space has a norm, so I should not explicitly say it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook