[Linear Algebra] Nullspace equals Column space

In summary, the book states that because the null space of a matrix, A, is the set of all vectors, \vec{v} such that A\vec{v}= \vec{0}, it is impossible to have a matrix with a nullspace that equals its column space.
Dafe

Homework Statement

Why does no 3 by 3 matrix have a nullspace that equals its column space?

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
A =
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
\]
[/tex]

[tex]
C(A) =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\]
[/tex]

Does not then N(A) = C(A)?
I think I am missing something here.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you are missing because I don't know what you are thinking! The "column space" of a matrix is the space spanned by its columns thought of as vectors. The column space of your matrix is the one dimensional space spanned by <0, 0, 1>= [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]. The null space of a matrix, A, is the set of all vectors, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] such that [itex]A\vec{v}= \vec{0}[/itex]. For this matrix that is the space spanned by <1, 0, 0>= [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] and <0, 1, 0>= [itex]\vec{j}[/itex]. They are not at all the same. In fact the two are orthogonal complements.

It is true for any n by n matrix, with n odd, that the null space cannot be the same as the column space because, for any n by n matrix, the sum of the dimension of the column space and the dimension of the null space must equal n. If the two dimensions are the same, their sum is an even number.

Hi,

I forgot the "space" in nullspace.

The book writes:

n - r = r

n = 3

3 = 2r is impossible.

The n - r = r is confusing me. Is r meant to be the number of pivot columns?

Thanks!

Dafe said:
Hi,

I forgot the "space" in nullspace.

The book writes:

n - r = r

n = 3

3 = 2r is impossible.

The n - r = r is confusing me. Is r meant to be the number of pivot columns?

Thanks!

You have probably learned a theorem like "rank + nullity = number of columns" or "rank + dimension of null space = number of columns." Yes, rank = number of pivot entries in rre form.

Also "rank= row rank = col rank = dim of col sp."

r = dim of col sp
n-r = dim of null sp

Set n-r equal to r; is the resulting equation possible?

Ah yes, n - r is the number of special solutions, number of free variables and the dimension of the nullspace.
Thank you very much!

1. What is the definition of Nullspace and Column space?

Nullspace and Column space are two fundamental concepts in Linear Algebra. Nullspace refers to the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by a matrix, result in the zero vector. It is also known as the kernel of a matrix. On the other hand, Column space refers to the set of all linear combinations of the columns of a matrix. It is also known as the range or image of a matrix.

2. What is the relationship between Nullspace and Column space?

The relationship between Nullspace and Column space is that they are complementary subspaces. This means that the dimensions of Nullspace and Column space add up to the number of columns in the matrix. In other words, the vectors in the Nullspace are orthogonal (perpendicular) to the vectors in the Column space.

3. How can you determine if the Nullspace and Column space are equal?

To determine if the Nullspace and Column space are equal, you can use the Rank-Nullity theorem, which states that the dimension of the Nullspace plus the dimension of the Column space is equal to the number of columns in the matrix. If this condition is satisfied, then the Nullspace and Column space are equal.

4. What is the significance of Nullspace equals Column space?

When the Nullspace equals the Column space, it means that the matrix is a square matrix with full rank. This implies that the matrix is invertible and has a unique solution. It also means that the columns of the matrix are linearly independent, and the system of equations represented by the matrix can be solved.

5. Can the Nullspace be equal to the Column space for a non-square matrix?

No, the Nullspace cannot be equal to the Column space for a non-square matrix. The Rank-Nullity theorem only applies to square matrices. For non-square matrices, the Nullspace and Column space can have different dimensions, and they are not complementary subspaces. However, the Nullspace and Column space can still have some common elements, but they cannot be equal.