Linear Algebra Proof, similar diagonalizable matrices

In summary, this shows that if matrices A and B are similar and A is diagonalizable, then B is diagonalizable.
stihl29

Homework Statement

Prove that if matrices A and b are similar and A is diagonalizable, then B is diagonalizable.

Homework Equations

this shows that A and B are similar i believe
A = [P][P]^-1
and
D = [P]^-1 [A] [P]
means A is diagonalizable

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this is a simple proof but i want to know the reason behind each step of the proof.
this is what I've tried D =[p]^-1 ([P][P]^1)[P]
what i did was plug in A from the first equation into the second so i would get
[D]= ? this this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
D isn't equal to B unless B is already diagonal. The matrix 'P' that shows A is similar to B and the matrix 'P' that diagonalizes A don't have to be the same matrix. It is simple. You are just making it too simple.

You are right in plugging in your matrix A into the second equation, but you must use different matrices to conjugate A and B. Call one P and one Q.

so, something like...
A = [P][P]^-1
B= [Q][A][Q]^-1

B =[P]^-1[A][P]
A =[Q]^-1[Q]
??
i'm pretty bad with proofs as you can tell.

You didn't really plug your expression for A into the expression for B, like you said you were going to. Now did you?

Just take your two equations in your first post and in one of them (say, A = ...), switch the P's to Q's (since you don't know the same matrix works to conjugate both matrices) and plug it in the second formula, the same way you did. Then just mess around with the terms, you might have to use a formula about inverses.

I was just seeing if what i did so far was correct,
so if i put
B =[P]^-1[A][P] into
A =[Q]^-1[Q]

A =[Q]^-1([P]^-1[A][P])[Q] ??

or

B = [Q]([P][P]^-1)[Q]^-1

i don't see how either of them simplify does [P][Q]^-1 = I ?

Whatever happened to D? I thought you wanted to show B is diagonalizable? That means you want to show D=R^(-1)BR for some matrix R. What is R in terms of P and Q?

You are trying to show that B is diagonalizable, so you want your conclusion to be that D = Z-1BZ. So, plug A into the formula for D. Then use the formula for product of inverses.

A = [P][P]^-1
and
D = [W]^-1 [A] [W]

D = [W]^-1 ([P][P]^-1) [W]
by matrix inverse property
D = Z-1 B Z

is that correct ?

It is if you are clear on what Z is in terms of P and W, and why W^(-1)P and P^(-1)W are inverses.

yea i looked up the the reasons, thanks a ton guys.

1. What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through a similarity transformation. This means that the matrix can be written as a product of three matrices: A = PDP^-1, where P is an invertible matrix and D is a diagonal matrix.

2. How do you prove that two matrices are similar?

To prove that two matrices A and B are similar, you need to show that there exists an invertible matrix P such that A = PBP^-1. This can be done by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of both matrices and checking if they are the same. If they are, then the matrices are similar.

3. What is the significance of similar diagonalizable matrices?

Similar diagonalizable matrices have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which means they represent the same linear transformation. This makes them useful in solving systems of equations and understanding the behavior of linear systems.

4. Can all matrices be diagonalized?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized. For a matrix to be diagonalizable, it must have a complete set of linearly independent eigenvectors. If a matrix does not have this property, it cannot be diagonalized.

5. How do you find the diagonal form of a matrix?

To find the diagonal form of a matrix A, you need to find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Then, these eigenvectors can be used to construct the invertible matrix P. The diagonal matrix D can be constructed by placing the eigenvalues along the diagonal and filling the rest of the entries with zeros. The diagonal form is then A = PDP^-1.