1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Question: Eigenvectors & Eignvalues

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    This is my last week in Linear Algebra. I am working on our last homework assignment before the exam so I want to make sure I know what I am doing.

In each part, make a conjecture about the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the matrix A corresponding to the given transformation by considering the geometric properties of multiplication by A. Confirm each of your conjectures with computations.

A. Reflection about the line y=x
    B. Contraction by a factor of 1/2

I'm not quite sure how to get started.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

reflection about a line does not change the length of a vector. That sharply restricts the possible eigenvalues. Also consider two crucial cases:
    (1) reflection about y= x of the vector <1, 1>, lying in y= x.
    (2) reflection about y= x of the vector <1, -1>, perpendicular to y= x.

For the second, think about happens to <x, y>. "Contraction by a factor of 1/2" changes <x, y> to what vector? How can that be equal to [itex]\lambda <x, y>[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?