1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Show that this defines an inner product?

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If x = (x1, x2) and y = (y1, y2)....

Show that <x,y> = 3(x1)(y1) - (x1)(y2) - (x2)(y1) + 3(x2)(y2)

2. Relevant equations

I know that to define it as an inner product space, the following must be correct:

<x,y> = <y,x>
    a<x,y> = <ax,y>
    <x,y+z> = <x,y> + <x,z>
    <x,x> >/= 0
    <x,x> = 0 therefore x=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a fair idea what the rules above mean, however I have no clue how to apply it to the question. Help??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Replace each <x, y> with the formula you are given, [itex]3x_1y_1- x_1y_2 - x_2y_1+ 3x_2y_2[/itex], and see if they are true.

The first one, <x, y>= <y, x> would become [itex]3x_1y_1- x_1y_2 - x_2y_1+ 3x_2y_2= 3y_1x1- y_1x_2 - y_2x_1+ 3y_2x_2[/itex]. Is that true?

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the definition of the above inner product, x1,2, y1,y2 are ordinary real numbers and (x1)(y1)... are products of these numbers.

What do you get if you exchange x and y? As an example, let be (x1,x2)=(2,3) and (y1,y2)=(4,5). What is the inner product <x,y>?
    Now let be (x1,x2)=(4,5) and (y1,y2)=(2,3). What is the inner product now?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook