1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - squaring via transformations

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a transformation (not linear! that is what I have to show) F given by:

F : P_4 -> P_7 (P_7 is the vector-space spanned by polynomials less than degree 7). I also know that F(p(x)) = (p(x))^2.

The matrix A representing F with respect to the two basis is the one I get by taking the transformation F on P_4's elements [x^3, x^2, x, 1] and expressing by P_7's elements. I get a 7x4-matrix with 4 zeroes and the rest are zero-entries.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This matrix is the matrix A in L(x) = Ax. So if I take a polynomial in P_4 and multiply with A, it should be squared:

A*(a_1*x^3, a_2*x^2, a_3*x, a_0)^T.

But this doesn't make a_1*x^3 go to (a_1)^2*x^6 and so on? Where am I going wrong?

I hope you understand my questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't really understand what you're asking. You're saying that F is not linear, but then you say it's represented by the matrix A.

What are you trying to do exactly? Prove that the mapping F:P_4->P_7 (where P_n is the space of polynomials over R of degree <n) given by F(p(x))=(p(x))^2 is linear? Well, it's not! For example: F(x+x) = F(2x) = 4x^2, which is not equal to F(x)+F(x)=2x^2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?