1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Symmetric/Positive Definite problem

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. Let A[itex]\in[/itex]Rnxn be a symmetric matrix, and assume that there exists a matrix B[itex]\in[/itex]Rmxn such that A=BTB.
    a) Show that A is positive semidefinite
    B) Show that if B has full rank, then A is positive definite

2. Relevant equations:
    This is for an operations research class, so most of the definitions revolve around minimizing/maximizing.
    However, alternate definitions:
    Positive Definite: A is positive definite if for all non-null vectors h, hTAh > 0.
    Symmetric: if AT=A.
    Semidefinite: hTAh ≥ 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's some work:
    AT = A ; A = BTB.
    So, AT = BTB → ATA = BTBA = AA = A2.
    So, ATA ≥ 0.
    But, that's not quite what I want.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]h^T A h=h^T B^T B h[/itex]. That's the inner product [itex](B h)^T (B h)[/itex]. Use the properties of the inner product.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    Dick,
    I don't recall any specific properties of inner products that would help except <x,x> >= 0. But, I don't see how that applies.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And <x,x>=0 only if x=0. I think it applies a lot. [itex](B h)^T (B h)=<Bh, Bh>[/itex].

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    D'oh! I must be too tired, completely forgot that the inner product would be the same as doing the transpose first.
    Thank you a lot Dick, you always seem to help out a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook