Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, when does the implications hold?

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    Hi, I have 4 implications I am interested in, I think I know the answer to the first 2, but the last two is not something I know, however they are related to the first 2 so I will include all to be sure.

Assume that T is a linear transformation from from vectorspace A to B.

T: A -> B
    A* is n vectors in A, that is A* = {a1, a2, an}

T(A*) linearly independent -> A* linearly independent
    If T(A*) is linearly independent, then A* must be linearly independent, without any requirements for T?

T(A*) lindearly dependent -> A* linearly dependent
    If T(A*) is linearly dependent, then we can only conclude that A* is linearly independent only if T is 1-1, if T is not 1-1 we can not conlude anything?

span(T(A*))=B -> span(A*)= A
    If span(T(A*)) = B, what requirement must we have to conlude that span(A*) = A. That T is 1-1, surejective, both or none?

span(T(A*)) ≠ B -> span(A*) ≠ A*
    If span(T(A*)) is not B what must we have to conlude that span(A*) is not A? Will this implication hold if T is 1-1, surjective, both or none?

thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2
    1. If c1a1+...+cnan=0, then T(c1a1+...+cnan)=0. So no restrictions.
    2. Injectivity is not needed. Consider T: R^3->R^2. T(x,y,z)=(x,y). Surjectivity is not needed. Consider
    T: R^2->R^3. T(x,y)=(x,y,0).
    3. Let B={0} and you'll see surjectivity isn't enough. 1-1 is. Think of any x in A and consider T(x)=c1T(a1)+c2T(a2)+...+cnT(an).
    4. Your last statement is equivalent to span(A*)=A -> span(T(A*)) = B. If dim(A)<dim(B) and you have n=dim(A) vectors, this is not true. So injectivity is not enough. Surjectivity is though. Consider y in B. Then there is an x in A such that T(x)=y. Or T(c1a1+...cnan)=y.

4. Dec 8, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The word is 'linearly'.

5. Dec 8, 2013 #4

Hey, thanks man.
    I just have some more questions, are you allowed to prove a general statement with examples?

Also, i am not sure about the example.
    T(x,y,z) = (x,y)
    if A* = {(1,1,0),(1,1,1)}
    then T(A*) = {(1,1),(1,1)}
    so T(A*) is linearly dependent, but A* is not, so the implication is false here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook