Linear and angular momentum problem

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a problem involving a thin, uniform bar with a small blob of putty attached to it, both supported by a frictionless surface. The problem is to determine the velocity of the system's center of mass and the angular speed after the putty collides with the bar. The participants discuss using conservation of angular momentum and determining the angular speed about the center of mass of the system. They also consider the speed of the bullet and the bar in the center of mass frame.
barryj
This is not a homework problem.
I am trying to set up the following problem. I am doing something wrong. Help. I have attached the problem and figure but here is the text.

Figure 10-52 shows a thin, uniform bar of Length L and mass M and a small blob of putty of mass m. The system is supported by a frictionless horizontal surface. The putty moves to the right with a velocity v, strikes the bar at a distance d from the center of the bar, and sticks to the bar at the point of contact. Obtain expression for the velocity of the system's center of mass and for the angular speed following the collision.

To find the angular speed, I use the conservation of angular momentum.

mv(1)d = m*v(2)*d + (1/12)ML^2 * V(2)

Is this a correct setup?

Thanks
Barry

Attachments

• physics 10-61.jpg
    physics 10-61.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 599
Physics news on Phys.org
Compute the angular momentum about the center of mass of the system.

Thanks Doc Al, I think I see your point. When the putty hits the bar, the rotation is about the center of mass of the rod/putty combination and will be between the center of the rod and the putty as I how on my attachment. Yes?

Attachments

• center of mass.jpg
    center of mass.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 789
barryj said:
Thanks Doc Al, I think I see your point. When the putty hits the bar, the rotation is about the center of mass of the rod/putty combination and will be between the center of the rod and the putty as I how on my attachment. Yes?
Yes, that's correct. Now figure out the speed of the bullet and the bar in the center of mass frame.

Hello Barry,

Thank you for sharing your problem and question. It seems like you are on the right track in setting up your problem and using the conservation of angular momentum to find the angular speed. However, there are a few things that can be improved in your setup.

Firstly, when using the conservation of angular momentum, it is important to define a reference point or axis around which the angular momentum is conserved. In this case, since the system is supported by a frictionless horizontal surface, it would be best to choose the point of contact between the bar and the surface as the reference point. This means that the angular momentum before and after the collision should be calculated with respect to this point.

Secondly, the equation you have written for the conservation of angular momentum is not entirely correct. The correct equation should be:

m*v(1)*d = (m+M)*v(2)*d + (1/12)ML^2 * w(2)

where w(2) is the angular speed of the system after the collision. This equation takes into account the fact that the putty sticks to the bar and becomes part of the system, increasing its mass.

Lastly, it is important to note that the velocity of the center of mass of the system will remain the same before and after the collision, as there are no external forces acting on the system. Therefore, the equation for the conservation of linear momentum can also be used to solve for the velocity of the center of mass.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion possessed by an object. It is the product of the mass and velocity of an object and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum conserved in a system?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total linear momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the initial momentum of the system will be equal to the final momentum.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object and is also a vector quantity.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a system?

Similar to linear momentum, the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the initial angular momentum will be equal to the final angular momentum of the system.

5. How are linear and angular momentum related?

Linear and angular momentum are related through the concept of torque. Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is responsible for changing an object's angular momentum. When a force is applied at a distance from the axis of rotation, it creates a torque that causes the object to rotate and thus changes its angular momentum. This relationship is described by the equation L = r x p, where L is angular momentum, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of force, and p is linear momentum.