Linear and anular momentum of a hydrogen electron

In summary, using the Bohr theory of the atom, the radius of the orbit for a hydrogen atom in the excited state of n=4 is 0.84668352 nm. The linear momentum of the electron is 4.9821*10^-25 kg*m/s and the angular momentum is 4.2182*10^-34 J*s. The kinetic energy is 0.850625 eV and the potential energy is -1.70 eV, giving a total energy of -0.851 eV. The potential energy was found using the equation -e^2/(4*pi*epsilon0*r).
baseballer10p

Homework Statement

A hydrogen is in the excited state of n=4. Using the Bohr theory of the atom, find the radius of the orbit.
Find the linear momentum of the electron. (kg*m/s)
Find the angular momentum of the electron. (J*s)

Homework Equations

r = a*n^2
? maybe L = sqrt(l(l+1)h/2*pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that a for hydrogen was 5.291772*10^-11m, so I calculated that r was .84668352 nm.
After that I tried the equation for L, but it gave the wrong answer for angular momentum.

Is there any equation that can find the linear and angular momentum of the electron using the information I am given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I found the answer. Linear momentum 4.9821*10^-25 kg * m/s
Angular momentum is 4.2182*10^-34 J*s

There are also three other parts to the question:

Find its kinetic energy, potential energy and total energy. (Use eV)

I found its kinetic energy (.850625eV), but I can't find its potential energy and total energy. The kinetic energy was found by using
13.61eV/n^2
where n=4

Can anyone help me find potential and total energy?

EDIT:
Ok I found the answer now. Potential energy was found using
-e^2/(4*pi*epsilon0*r)
That gave me about -1.70 eV.

Then, I just added the kinetic and potential energy together to get about -.851 eV.

Last edited:

I would like to provide a response to the content by first acknowledging that the question is asking for the radius of the orbit, as well as the linear and angular momentum of the electron in a hydrogen atom in the excited state of n=4. The Bohr theory of the atom is being used to solve this problem.

To begin, the equation r = a*n^2 is correct for finding the radius of the orbit, where r is the radius, a is the Bohr radius (5.291772*10^-11m), and n is the principal quantum number (in this case, n=4). The calculated radius of the orbit is .84668352 nm.

To find the linear momentum of the electron, we can use the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity. The mass of an electron is 9.10938356*10^-31 kg, and the velocity can be calculated using the equation v = (2πr)/T, where T is the period of the orbit. The period can be found using Kepler's third law, which states that T^2 = (4π^2*r^3)/(GM), where G is the gravitational constant and M is the mass of the nucleus. In this case, the mass of the nucleus is the mass of a proton, which is 1.6726219*10^-27 kg. Plugging in all the values, we get a velocity of 2.188*10^6 m/s. Therefore, the linear momentum of the electron is 1.972*10^-24 kg*m/s.

For the angular momentum of the electron, we can use the equation L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the electron, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the orbit. Plugging in the values calculated above, we get an angular momentum of 1.662*10^-34 J*s.

In conclusion, to find the linear and angular momentum of a hydrogen electron in the excited state of n=4, we can use the equations p = mv and L = mvr, respectively. Both of these calculations require the knowledge of the Bohr radius and the period of the orbit, which can be found using Kepler's third law. It is important to note that these calculations are based on the Bohr model, which

1. What is linear momentum of a hydrogen electron?

Linear momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion in a straight line. In the context of a hydrogen electron, it refers to the amount of motion the electron has in a specific direction.

2. How is linear momentum of a hydrogen electron calculated?

The linear momentum of a hydrogen electron can be calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the electron, and v is its velocity.

3. What is anular momentum of a hydrogen electron?

Anular momentum, also known as angular momentum, refers to the rotational motion of a particle. In the case of a hydrogen electron, it is the measure of its rotation around the nucleus.

4. How is anular momentum of a hydrogen electron related to its orbit?

The anular momentum of a hydrogen electron is related to its orbit through the equation L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of its orbit.

5. Why is anular momentum of a hydrogen electron quantized?

The anular momentum of a hydrogen electron is quantized because it can only exist in specific energy levels, or orbits, around the nucleus. This means that the electron's angular momentum must also be quantized in order to satisfy the laws of quantum mechanics.