1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear application and différential

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let be E a normded vectoriel space, ##dim(E) = m \in \mathbb{N}^{*}##, I have to show that ##\exists \rho_{1}, \rho_{2} > 0 | \forall u \in L(E), ||u^{m} - Id| \leq \rho_{1} \Rightarrow |u - Id| \leq \rho_{2}##.

2. Relevant equations
    Nothing.

3. The attempt at a solution

I try to constrcut a ##C^{1}## application which will have by definition a continuous différential. But I don't see what the dimension m as to do in here and I'm really locked.

Could you give me a clue please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Think about the eigenvalues of [itex]u[/itex]. There are at most [itex]m[/itex] of them, and a finite set of real numbers always has a maximum and a minimum.

4. Aug 6, 2016 #3
    If I look in ##\mathbb{R}## it's possible ther's no eigenvalues and the matrice I ut is not necessarely diagonaloisabled.
    Are you sure it's really exploitable?

I find this problem on differential calcul set of problem.

5. Aug 6, 2016 #4
    I have an idea.

6. Aug 6, 2016 #5
    Let put us around the identity ##Id##, the application ##\phi : u \in L(E) \rightarrow u^{m} \in L(E)## is ##C^{\infty}##, as the differential in ##Id## is an isomorphism, then the inverse function theorem show that ##\exists \rho_{1}, \rho_{2} > 0 | \phi : B(Id, \rho_{1}) \rightarrow B(Id, \rho_{2})## is a bijection. But as ##\phi## is not injective it doesn't work.

7. Aug 6, 2016 #6
    I corrrecte the ennoncee : ##
    \exists \rho_{1}, \rho_{2} > 0 | \forall v \in L(E) \exists u \in L(E) | u^{m} = v \text{ and } ||v - Id|| \leq \rho_{1} \Rightarrow ||u - Id|| \leq \rho_{2}##

8. Aug 6, 2016 #7
    I think we use m is the dimension for the unicity but I don't see why, the rest is an application of the inverse function theorem.
    Thanks for your help.

9. Aug 6, 2016 #8
    Yeah what I wroght non works I think but I don't use ##m = dim(E)##.
    What do you think please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted