Linear Approximation of \sqrt[3]{27.02} using f(x)+f'(x)(x-a) method

  • Thread starter Thread starter forestmine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Linear
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
forestmine
Messages
201
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the linear approximation of [itex]\sqrt[3]{27.02}[/itex]

Homework Equations



f(x)+f'(x)(x-a)


The Attempt at a Solution



So what I did was work with[itex]\sqrt[3]{27}[/itex] since that's an easily known value. So my f(x)=x[itex]^{1/3}[/itex] and my f'(x)=1/3x[itex]^{-2/3}[/itex]. From there, I worked f(27) = 3, and f'(27)=1/27.

Then I used the above equation. 3+1/27(x-27). For my value of x, I used 27.02, and got .0004.

Something tells me I'm doing something incorrectly, though...

Thanks for the help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My mistake -- calculated that incorrectly. I actually get 3.00074. Was my method correct in that case?
 
forestmine said:
My mistake -- calculated that incorrectly. I actually get 3.00074. Was my method correct in that case?

Your method looks ok to me. A good sanity check is to calculate the cube root of 27.02 and compare to the approximation.
 
Last edited:
Thank goodness for sanity checks. Thanks a lot!