Linear approximations derived from Taylor series

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem asking how to get fraction form for the square root of 3, but is having trouble understanding the basics. They are grateful for the help from their teacher and are learning more about basic math concepts.
_Greg_

Homework Statement

So I have the problem questiona dn my teachers solution posted below.
I understand:

f(xo) = sin pi/6
f '(xo) = cos pi/6

but i don't know how he gets them into fraction form with the SQRT of 3, it looks like some pythagoras but i don't really know how he did it.

Homework Equations

Question 3(a) (sorry I named it 'answer' instead of 'question')

answer.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

solution.jpg

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi _Greg_! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
_Greg_ said:
f(xo) = sin pi/6
f '(xo) = cos pi/6

but i don't know how he gets them into fraction form with the SQRT of 3, it looks like some pythagoras but i don't really know how he did it.

I can't see the pictures yet, but π/6 = 30º, which is the little angle of half an equilateral triangle, so sin(π/6) (opp/hyp) = 1/2, and yes from Pythagoras you get cos(π/6) = √3/2. :smile:

Thanks for the fast reply tiny tim.
But how would you know its a 30* triangle, and how do you know cos pi/6 = sqrt3/2
Like sin pi/6, is pi close enough to 3 to just call it 3/6?
I don't really know much of the basics, I'm pretty much learning this for the deep end, looking for trends to understand

(what happened to that π i gave you? :confused:)
_Greg_ said:
But how would you know its a 30* triangle

Because π = 180º, so π/6 = 30º

(and an equilateral triangle has all angles equal, and they add up to 180º, so each angle is 60º, and half that is 30º)
Like sin pi/6, is pi close enough to 3 to just call it 3/6?

No, just draw half an equilateral triangle …

one side will be half the length of the other.

aaaaaaah, I see, I thought that little n symbol was pi.
And of course, it all adds up to 180*, high school maths is all coming back now :rolleyes:
Many thanks :smile:

1. What is a linear approximation?

A linear approximation is a method used to estimate the value of a function at a certain point by using the tangent line at that point. It is derived from the Taylor series, which is an infinite sum of terms that represent the function at different points.

2. How is a linear approximation different from a Taylor series?

A linear approximation is a simplified version of the Taylor series, using only the first two terms (the first derivative and the constant term). This provides a good estimate of the function at a specific point, but it is not an exact representation of the function like the Taylor series.

3. When is a linear approximation useful?

A linear approximation is useful when the function is too complicated to evaluate at a certain point, but its first derivative is known. It can also be used to approximate the value of a function when the input is close to a known value.

4. How accurate is a linear approximation?

The accuracy of a linear approximation depends on how close the input value is to the known value and the curvature of the function at that point. Generally, the closer the input value is to the known value, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can a linear approximation be used for any function?

No, a linear approximation is only accurate for functions that are smooth and continuous. It also relies on the function being differentiable at the point of approximation. If the function has sharp turns or discontinuities, a linear approximation may not be accurate.