1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear combination and orthogonality

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about not using the homework template
    Given the non-zero vectors u, v and w in ℝ3
    Show that there is a non-zero linear combination of u and v that is orthogonal to w.
    u and v must be linearly independant.

I am not really sure at all. But I have done this:
    This is a screenshot of what I have done. Basicly, I assumed in the end that u and v are not orthogonal, and then I chose some suitable substitution for u and v, and ended up with zero when dotting them with w. Evverything is much appreciated and especially if you have another solution that is better or correct, because I think mine is not that good though.

https://gyazo.com/707e7c168a1c1a15166fd71be4ae7a81

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure the claim is not correct. Consider the vectors
    u=(5,0,0)
    v=(5,1,0)
    z=(5,0,1)

The set is linearly independent, but there is no linear combination of u and v that is orthogonal to w.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If by z you mean w, then the statement above is false: the linear combination c*u-c*v = (0,-c,0) is orthogonal to w = (5,0,1).

The result is true, but I will not look at the OP's screenshot (only at a typed version).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted