Linear Differential Operator order

In summary, the homework statement is that the homework equations are for first order differential equations. The attempt at a solution was to use linear differential operators with constant coefficients, but this did not work. The student became two points smarter after getting help from the tutor.]
tom_rylex
[Solved] Linear Differential Operator order

Homework Statement

I'm misunderstanding something basic about how this works:

Give examples of linear differential operators [tex] L [/tex] and [tex] M [/tex] for which it is not true that [tex] L(M(u)) = M(L(u)) [/tex] for all u.

Homework Equations

Since it's arbitrary, I made two first order differential functions of two variables:
[tex] \overline{x} = {x,y} [/tex]
[tex] u=u(x,y) [/tex]
[tex] L(u) = a(\overline{x})u + b_1(\overline{x})u_x + b_2(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]
[tex] M(u) = c(\overline{x})u + d_1(\overline{x})u_x + d_2(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]
Where a,b,c, and d are coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

When I expand [tex] L(M(u)) [/tex], it seems to look like [tex] M(L(u)) [/tex]:

[tex] L(M(u)) = a(\overline{x})c(\overline{x})u+a(\overline{x})d_1(\overline{x})u_x +a(\overline{x})d_2(\overline{x})u_y + b_1(\overline{x})c(\overline{x})u_x+b_2(\overline{x})c(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]

[tex] M(L(u)) = c(\overline{x})a(\overline{x})u+c(\overline{x})b_1(\overline{x})u_x +c(\overline{x})b_2(\overline{x})u_y + d_1(\overline{x})a(\overline{x})u_x+d_2(\overline{x})a(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]

I'm stuck, since it seems that all roads lead back to a commutative relationship.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linear differential operators with constant coefficients are commutative.

Try using linear differential operators with variable coefficients. That is, something like (d/dx+ 3x)y or (xd/dx)u

[Solved] Linear Differential Operator order

Thanks. I just needed a nudge to get in the right direction. Some parts of DiffEq have been a while for me. I set up the linear differential operators

[tex] L = \frac {d}{dx} [/tex]
[tex] M = \frac {d}{dx} + x [/tex]

to show that [tex] L(M(u)) \neq M(L(u)) [/tex] for all u. I think you helped me become 2 points smarter (don't ask me the scale...).

What is a linear differential operator order?

A linear differential operator order is a mathematical concept used in calculus and differential equations. It refers to the highest order of derivative present in a differential equation or operator. It is used to classify and solve differential equations.

How is the order of a linear differential operator determined?

The order of a linear differential operator is determined by the highest order of derivative present in the equation or operator. For example, an operator with a highest derivative of y'' is considered a second-order operator.

What is the significance of the order of a linear differential operator?

The order of a linear differential operator determines the complexity of the differential equation or operator. Higher order operators require more advanced techniques to solve and may have multiple solutions, while lower order operators are typically easier to solve and may have a unique solution.

Can a linear differential operator have a fractional order?

No, a linear differential operator must have a whole number order. This is because the order represents the number of times the operator acts on the dependent variable in the equation. It does not make sense for an operator to act a fractional number of times.

How are linear differential operators used in scientific research?

Linear differential operators are used extensively in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. They are used to model and solve real-world problems, such as predicting the motion of objects, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in data analysis and signal processing to extract useful information from complex data sets.