1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Differential Operator order

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    [Solved] Linear Differential Operator order

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm misunderstanding something basic about how this works:

Give examples of linear differential operators [tex] L [/tex] and [tex] M [/tex] for which it is not true that [tex] L(M(u)) = M(L(u)) [/tex] for all u.

2. Relevant equations
    Since it's arbitrary, I made two first order differential functions of two variables:
    [tex] \overline{x} = {x,y} [/tex]
    [tex] u=u(x,y) [/tex]
    [tex] L(u) = a(\overline{x})u + b_1(\overline{x})u_x + b_2(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]
    [tex] M(u) = c(\overline{x})u + d_1(\overline{x})u_x + d_2(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]
    Where a,b,c, and d are coefficients.

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I expand [tex] L(M(u)) [/tex], it seems to look like [tex] M(L(u)) [/tex]:

[tex] L(M(u)) = a(\overline{x})c(\overline{x})u+a(\overline{x})d_1(\overline{x})u_x +a(\overline{x})d_2(\overline{x})u_y + b_1(\overline{x})c(\overline{x})u_x+b_2(\overline{x})c(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]

[tex] M(L(u)) = c(\overline{x})a(\overline{x})u+c(\overline{x})b_1(\overline{x})u_x +c(\overline{x})b_2(\overline{x})u_y + d_1(\overline{x})a(\overline{x})u_x+d_2(\overline{x})a(\overline{x})u_y [/tex]

I'm stuck, since it seems that all roads lead back to a commutative relationship.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Linear differential operators with constant coefficients are commutative.

Try using linear differential operators with variable coefficients. That is, something like (d/dx+ 3x)y or (xd/dx)u
  4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    [Solved] Linear Differential Operator order

Thanks. I just needed a nudge to get in the right direction. Some parts of DiffEq have been a while for me. I set up the linear differential operators

[tex] L = \frac {d}{dx} [/tex]
    [tex] M = \frac {d}{dx} + x [/tex]

to show that [tex] L(M(u)) \neq M(L(u)) [/tex] for all u. I think you helped me become 2 points smarter (don't ask me the scale...).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?