1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear fit for data (resistance of a wire)

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The resistance for a wire with cross-sectional radius r is given by R = k/(r^2). Convert this equation to a straight line for which k can be determined from the slope.

2. Relevant equations

Equation of a line is:
    y = mx + c

3. The attempt at a solution
    R = k/(r^2)
    ln(R) = ln(k/(r^2))
    ln(R) = ln(k) - ln(r^2)
    ln(R) = ln(k) - 2*ln(r)

I'm not sure how to linearize this equation, this is where I get stuck. ln(R) would represent y on the graph. k ought to equal the slope, but I can't see how to do that.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2
    What you have done is a perfectly good analysis but k is given by the intercept (lnk) on the graph.
    The slope of the ln-ln graph is -2. This is the value of ln-ln graphs.....enables you to determine the power law of a set of data.
    Since R =k/r^2 a graph of R against 1/(r^2) will be a straight line with gradient k

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    The problem is that if I plot given values of R on the y-axis = R and given values of r on the x-axis = (1/(r^2)), my graph looks like this:

VWoHo.png

Edit: This is my dataset
    R r
    0.81 0.0001
    0.73 0.00015
    0.60 0.0002
    0.38 0.00025
    0.1 0.0003

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. Nov 16, 2011 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not plot a graph of R against 1/r2?
    That should give a straight line y=kx which should pass through the origin as when r = 0, so should R. The c would be zero.

It is handy to get used to the idea of choosing what to plot against what in order to get a straight line graph. I remember needing quite a few examples before it became 'obvious' what to do.

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5
    That graph I showed is R against 1/(r^2). My problem is that it is very curved, so I don't have a best-fit line.

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6
    If I use some known value of k to produce my own table of r and R from R = k/(r^2), I do get a linear fit, so I guess I'm missing something involving the dataset.

I have a similar small question, how would I convert this to a straight line such that a and b can be found? My known values are x and y.
    y = a*(1 + b*(x^2))

y = a + a*b*(x^2)
    ln(y) = ln(a) + ln(a*b*(x^2))
    ln(y) = ln(a) + ln(a) + ln(b*(x^2)
    ln(y) = 2ln(a) + ln(b*(x^2))
    I can see that the intercept is 2ln(a), but I'm not sure how I would read a slope from ln(b*(x^2))

8. Nov 16, 2011 #7
    I used your numbers and got something very similar! Where did you get the data, was it from measurements you made?

9. Nov 16, 2011 #8
    The data was given to me as part of the question by my instructor.

Could also you please also take a look at my second question in post #6?

10. Nov 16, 2011 #9
    What was post #6? I am not certain how to find it

11. Nov 16, 2011 #10
  12. Nov 16, 2011 #11
    Got it (a bit on the slow side!!)
    You can't do this:
    y = a + a*b*(x^2)
    ln(y) = ln(a) + ln(a*b*(x^2))
    You cannot add the ln of 2 numbers added together.When you add ln it means you are dealing with multiplication. You did this right in your post #1
    For this equation I would leave it as:
    y = a + abx^2
    Try plotting y against x^2..... what will be the gradient and what will be the intercept?

13. Nov 16, 2011 #12
    When I added, I was thinking of ln(x) + ln(x) = ln(x*x) = 2*ln(x)

D'oh... if the intercept is a and gradient is ab, then I can find b as gradient/a, thanks. :smile:

14. Nov 16, 2011 #13
    you have got it
    Cheers

15. Nov 16, 2011 #14

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry. I was being dumb. You are right. The graph looks so wrong that I assumed you'd not actually plotted it right. But the values certainly give that odd curve.

I think the data must be wrong - unless it relates to something that can get hot for thin samples and not following Ohms Law. You'll have to ask your tutor, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook